• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnies Nostril

Sassyprassy

Moving in
Real Name
Syrina
Hello. I just bought my bird yesterday and it seems like her one nostril is blocked. I do not see any way for air to get it. It seems like dry skin or dry beak in there.

Here is the picture

Attachments

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Eew. the color of the blockage is a little concerning... it could be dried pus, from an abscess or something in the nostril.

Here's a video of a cockatiel with a similar impacted nostril

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I can't really see what it is. A bath or misting might help loosen it up if it's just a seed hull or something. With any new bird, a vet check is a good idea.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes you need a vet check as that has had time to grow...keep us posted. Please do not attempt what you see in the video. As you can see the tiel is very stressed and is being helped where treatment is available.

Last edited:

Sassyprassy

Moving in
Real Name
Syrina
Hello all. I have an appointment for the vet on Monday. But other news. I woke up this morning and checked on her. This is now bleeding. She managed to get some of it out. I took him to a women who has been breeding and treating minor issues with birds. I can only do the vet on Monday but was worried he would die by then.
The blockage was hanging and I used my fingers to get it out. Once I pulled it out puss and blood came out with it. The other nostril had it too. The pet store is an idiot and said the bird was fine when I get him.
This picture I posted was the day I got him.

Sassyprassy

Moving in
Real Name
Syrina
The lady is going to flush his nose and keep it moist to help clean it and keep it clear.
She said he seems to be doing good. He is talking and eating. So that is good

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hello all. I have an appointment for the vet on Monday. But other news. I woke up this morning and checked on her. This is now bleeding. She managed to get some of it out. I took him to a women who has been breeding and treating minor issues with birds. I can only do the vet on Monday but was worried he would die by then.
The blockage was hanging and I used my fingers to get it out. Once I pulled it out puss and blood came out with it. The other nostril had it too. The pet store is an idiot and said the bird was fine when I get him.
Do they have an emergency vet that is open? Sounds like he has a an infection. Where are you located? Perhaps we can find another vet. Make sure you track everything and the costs. Poor thing.

Chihuahua

please do not perform treatment yourself allow someone who is not a vet to treat him... you could harm him worse. you should only treat him under the direction of a vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor bird. I think he needs to see a vet before Monday if there's an infection. Are there any emergency vet hospitals near you?

Sassyprassy

Moving in
Real Name
Syrina
There is an emergency vet around but costs way too much money to be seen.
The lady who has him has been working with birds for over 30 years.

Anyways he is doing great. He is eating and drinking. Talking to her African greys. I have pictures of what he looks like now.

It looked a lot worse when he went there. But it is looking 80% better.

Sassyprassy

Moving in
Real Name
Syrina
Because of how much I paid for him I don't have more money for the emergency vet.
I wish I did. I was worried hence why I took him where I did.

I think he is going to be OK till tomorrow.

Sassyprassy

Moving in
Real Name
Syrina
Looks like he is being spoiled. He is flying and playing around her gazebo. She said he is breathing through both noses now. Starting to heal pretty good.
No bleeding or puss. The color in his nose seems to be getting a whole lot better she said.

Attachments

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Yes you need a vet check as that has had time to grow...keep us posted. Please do not attempt what you see in the video. As you can see the tiel is very stressed and is being helped where treatment is available.
Sorry - I didn't post the video as a suggestion to try doing it at home. The guy in the video is a vet... a very well respected avian vet at that.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Sorry - I didn't post the video as a suggestion to try doing it at home. The guy in the video is a vet... a very well respected avian vet at that.
Oh I know...posted for someone who might see it and think it may be easy to do. :hug8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
When you say treating minor issues... remember this woman is not a vet. I don't care how long someone has been a breeder, that does not make them a veterinarian and they should not be treated as such. This issue could be caused by various things and you really should keep your appointment to discuss them with a veterinarian.

Sassyprassy

Moving in
Real Name
Syrina
Sorry. Vet said he is doing good and no infection. They said to continue keeping it moist and it should get better. Vet said the flushing helped as well. If it does not get better or starts to get worse bring back.
They said they can give me antibiotics but best if he only gets that if sick. I was kind of trying to force them to give me antibiotics. I was a worry wart lol.
But he is doing great.

I had a hard time getting a good photo but this is him after vet

Attachments

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I'm glad your little one is doing better :)