• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Life of a free bird?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Like being an independent adult human - life is dangerous. The price of freedom isn't free.

So, yes, if thsy could magically get all their feathers back, be perfect flyers, knew how to find food and have a mate KNEW HOW to survive. Yes.

But our captive parrots, probAbly more so our handraised birds than not, are like mentally handicap birds. They wouldn't survive without help.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
That was an enjoyable read Shanlung, and beautiful pictures of a beautiful bird. As well as those of that forest, the scenery and it's creatures. They've got me reminiscing about the rainforests of South America. The errie beauty of the echoing sounds of unseen birds throughout...

I wish him well!

Last edited:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Also wanted to add that I like that you chose to add and value pictures of the subtle things. The smallest insect, a leaf, droplets of water splashing, etc. These little details seem to have a beauty of their own. I guess I just love nature and, myself, notice and enjoy reflecting upon the little happenings and relationships. The ways in which plants bear seeds, the season, creatures that take advantage of that, etc.

Last edited:

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I've thought about it a lot, actually. I wouldn't return him to the wild as it is, not with the constant risk of his home being stolen due to cattle farming. The lack of constant food makes me a bit worried, honestly, because as a wild animal, there will be parasites and fights and predators. Not to mention the parrot smuggling trade. I know my view is the unpopular one, and I understand that the wild much better than what most people could provide, of course, but I couldn't do it. Zoos are too small and loud for parrots in my opinion. I think that something like the Moody garden rainforest pyramid is the most ideal thing. It's 240 acres and 10 stories tall, so there is quite a bit of room- nothing compared to the wild, but it won't be chopped down! They have foraging, flying, room and enrichment as well as the flock and mates without the issues of food shortages, predators, deforestation and overpopulation (all male parrots in there!)