• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Snowy Egret

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Gorgeous

Zeus

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Angel Miranda
Great pic Dan. :) I'm going to go out on the limb here, & maybe I will not be liked for this, but here goes.
I really like this Forum, but there is one thing that sort of bothers me a little. Example: Dan, you took the time to take your picture, develop it & post it. Most people seem to go the easy route & "Click on the like" button. I'm sure that you would rather have people comment on your picture in lieu of the "Like" button. There is a chance now that when I post a picture it might get ignored completely because of my comment. I hope that I have not offended anyone on this forum for my comment. This is just my opinion. The like button to me seems too sterile. No interaction with the members. Once again, I hope this doesn't alienate me now from the moderators & members. Like I said, I like it here.

Last edited:

ChromeScholar

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
I absolutely hate the "like" button option. It discourages actual participation in conversations.

Zeus

Real Name
Angel Miranda
I absolutely hate the "like" button option. It discourages actual participation in conversations.
I completely agree. When I was on another forum there were 3 of us there. That would participate in bird photography & videos. Peter from Canada was another bird photographer & Matty from Australia would post great videos of his interaction with the wild cockatoos . Lots of members enjoyed this & participated. I'm trying to get them to join here to do the same thing. If members here just use the "Like" button I seriously think they will stay very long.

PS: We all left there because it became overrun with childish people & a lot of Drama.

Last edited:

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
What a beauty!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I hate to type(every since surgery on My right arm)So I most often Like a post or respond with a smilie or hugs,at least it lets the poster know that I have Seen and liked their post:) What burns My butt is when You see that Your post has been viewed 100 times and You only get 6 replies and likes-:(:hug8::hug8::hug8:I will try to do better:angelic:

Zeus

Real Name
Angel Miranda
I hate to type(every since surgery on My right arm)So I most often Like a post or respond with a smilie or hugs,at least it lets the poster know that I have Seen and liked their post:) What burns My butt is when You see that Your post has been viewed 100 times and You only get 6 replies and likes-:(:hug8::hug8::hug8:I will try to do better:angelic:
EXACTLY....

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Beautiful shot of a gorgeous bird! :heart:

I wonder what she is looking at?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I completely agree. When I was on another forum there were 3 of us there. That would participate in bird photography & videos. Peter from Canada was another bird photographer & Matty from Australia would post great videos of his interaction with the wild cockatoos . Lots of members enjoyed this & participated. I'm trying to get them to join here to do the same thing. If members here just use the "Like" button I seriously think they will stay very long.

PS: We all left there because it became overrun with childish people & a lot of Drama.
You brought up some good points.
Avian Avenue is huge! We have over 10,000 members, we have lots of participation (over 2 million posts), that is what makes our board successful!

It is a caring community, this sets us apart.

I am trying to think why I, and why others use the Like button.

With myself, I do it because I really don't have enough time in the day to respond to each and every thread I view. I view ALOT, and our regular members, I am sure do as well. I "like" just to let others know I read it and saw, or that I liked their well thought out posts, comments or jokes :) . Like Bonnie, some members have trouble typing, or reading such small print. Some members are too nervous to post, some just don't know what to say? Some worry that they have poor communications skills, some don't speak english and are from other countries, and some don't know how to post.

Another thought to consider, people do a quick read before work, on their phone or on breaks, no time to respond. Many reasons!
Please don't take it personally, having lots of views is compliment enough, taking time to -like- is a bigger compliment and someone responding is huge too. It is a big board and there are so many things to click on and read.

With this section of the board, I am absolutely clueless on how to comment, I know nothing about photography other then "nice pic!", so that sounds dumb lol I think "nice pic" is worse then "like" I could be wrong.

Here is a snapshot of our statistics.
Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 9.29.49 AM.png

Last edited:

Zeus

Real Name
Angel Miranda
Hello Danita,
Point well taken. I understand your point & it makes sense. I will not bring this up anymore. From a photographers point of view it is different since they do take time to take & develop a shot as Dan knows very well. At the old Tailfeathers Forum of a few years ago, lots of people did participate. Every place is different.
LOL,
Angel

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Hello Danita,
Point well taken. I understand your point & it makes sense. I will not bring this up anymore. From a photographers point of view it is different since they do take time to take & develop a shot as Dan knows very well. At the old Tailfeathers Forum of a few years ago, lots of people did participate. Every place is different.
LOL,
Angel
It is okay to talk about it!
:)
Questions like this are great, I am absolutely sure others feel the same!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree with Danita. I'm on the run a lot, will hit "like" because I appreciate a comment or a beautiful picture. I have no photography skills but I can admire a beautiful picture.

I don't want to offend anyone by hitting the like button so please accept my apologies for the past and be warned I'll probably forget (I'm no spring chicken) and do it in the future too.

Zeus

Real Name
Angel Miranda
I agree with Danita. I'm on the run a lot, will hit "like" because I appreciate a comment or a beautiful picture. I have no photography skills but I can admire a beautiful picture.

I don't want to offend anyone by hitting the like button so please accept my apologies for the past and be warned I'll probably forget (I'm no spring chicken) and do it in the future too.
It's Ok. Thank you for liking my pictures. :hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I know I use it often if many have said similar to what I would say. I don't want to take up post space with comments that are the same as everyone else's, but I do want the poster to know I viewed and liked what they had to say/post.

Not sure if this is appreciated or not..... I know I'd rather see the 'likes' than have no comments on a post.

Many I believe would just look and leave if the like button wasn't there. Then (in a thread I made) I'd think no one even wanted to see what I posted. At least the likes lets me know some folk opened my thread.

I also think with the photography threads, many of us amatures are hesitant to say much of anything to you pros. I know I don't want to show my stupidity. I used to be on a photography site, and 'amatures' learned to keep their keyboards untouched. Our input was not wanted and actively discouraged. Only if we raised our level of competence were we accepted enough to converse with.

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It's funny, I love photography, but realize I'm only a pretty good snap shot taker. I make a beeline to all the photog threads here. I love seeing what you and several others post.

I dream someday I'll be able to make such photographs. It's an art that I truly admire and enjoy.

Please keep posting your photos.