• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Quakers legal in WI?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm bird-sitting a quaker parrot and her owner mentioned that quakers are illegal to sell in Wisconsin now, as of around 2 years ago (but existing pets are allowed). I'm just curious if this is true - I never heard anything about that and in fact had heard that some states were considering lifting quaker bans since they haven't proven to be crop pests.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My first Quaker was a gift bought at the 7 Mile Fair in Wisconsin but that was several years ago. I also found this - Where Can You Own A Quaker Parrot? Infographic

@Macawnutz I know that there is a flock of Quakers living in Hyde Park, in the city of Chicago and I'd heard that there are some living out west of the city. Since they build a co-op type of nest, they probably have a better chance of survival than most parrots if turned loose or escaped.

And yet when I searched further, I found this - http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/invasives/documents/nr40lists.pdf. You have to scroll down to the last page so maybe this hasn't been publicized very much.

Last edited:

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
In the last link it says no pet store can sell a Quaker with a carapace less than 4 inches. Isn't a carapace a shell, like on a turtle?

It does say since 2009 they are restricted :(

Last edited:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
quoted:
Pet stores may not sell monk parakeets or red-eared sliders with a carapace length less than 4 inches in Wisconsin.

they are referring to the red-eared sliders, a turtle, about the carapace.
Perhaps not well-written.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I found it confusing because they mention the Monk parakeet (so we all know it's a bird) and in the same breath a red eared slider. My first thought was what is that when it's at home? It helped when a carapace was mentioned but I guess, technically speaking, no Quaker would be prohibited:idea: because you'd never find one with any kind of carapace. :hmmm: :kiss2:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
So basically you won't have a Quaker in a pet shop, it doesn't say anything about owning one, and just don't release or allow it to escape. Now if you want to buy one, go to Illinois, Minnesota or Iowa :roflmao:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It's a shame they can't be sold then.. that Quaker made me want to get one. Of course I know she was in a new place and probably on her best behavior. But she's the sort of bird that pretty much anyone can pick up and do anything with. I ended up spending most evenings cuddling her and preening her head... and she was nice with my birds too (no I didn't quarantine since she's an only bird with no contact with other birds and came from the same breeder one of mine came from).
I've bird sat her before but the last time was five or six years ago, and I was happy to find she was still every bit as sweet and gentle as she was then.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Weird! I bought Jingo in 2011 from a breeder in Wisconsin

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I doubt that the law is strongly enforced.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It's a shame they can't be sold then.. that Quaker made me want to get one. Of course I know she was in a new place and probably on her best behavior. But she's the sort of bird that pretty much anyone can pick up and do anything with. I ended up spending most evenings cuddling her and preening her head... and she was nice with my birds too (no I didn't quarantine since she's an only bird with no contact with other birds and came from the same breeder one of mine came from).
I've bird sat her before but the last time was five or six years ago, and I was happy to find she was still every bit as sweet and gentle as she was then.
I agree with @Kellie728 It doesn't sound like it's being enforced very much. I'm wondering if it wasn't a "knee jerk" reaction following Quaker bans in other states only to realize that Quakers aren't exactly raiding Wisconsin's farmers' crops. There is nothing written about owning one, only that it's illegal to release them in the wild (which should be illegal to do with any exotic bird, let alone creature). Then again, breeders, from my experience don't provide open access/store front situation to the birds they breed. A purchase is done through appointments or phone calls, etc.

@karen256 You're also sitting a very well socialized Quaker and that's a key to having one.