• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cyst on nictitating membrane, green cheek

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thought I would post in case anyone does a search.

I noticed the day before yesterday that Zia was keeping her right eye closed more than normal. Finally looked really close and watched her blink. At first I thought it was a tear as it wasn't swollen just looked a bit odd. This morning it looked like a little bump and the membrane was really easy to see up at the top of her eye. I would have taken pictures but I got to be the vet tech assistant and hold her while we looked at everything. Dr. O put a numbing solution in the eye and then put some really bright green (assuming dye) in the eye. She said it was a type of cyst (which I immediately forgot the name of) but luckily it hadn't ulcerated the eye which would have happened had I waited too long to bring her in.

Zia also has a bacterial infection and Dr. O put her on antibiotics (antibiotics to also target the area in general) and antifungals plus ophthalmology gel. I was hesitant to run her in because it was so tiny (I mean the size of a little ball on a pen) and I thought it would resolve itself since I am a worry-wart. But it bothered me that it bothered her so off we went.

Moral of the story...even if it looks tiny or if your bird is displaying an unnatural behavior, please see a vet. I am so very glad her eye didn't get an ulcer from being rubbed by the cyst.

She looks a wee bit rough after getting the dye flushed and she was not feeling well at all from being very car sick.

zia.jpg

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Wow what a lucky catch. So glad you got her in in time and that things seem to be on their way to healing :)
**Hugs** for both of you:hug8:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Poor Zia! Glad it was small and you caught it early!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little Zia! Target had a torn nictitating membrane when I first got her, and they put that dye stuff in her eye too!

Hope she'll be better soon! :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so glad you caught that quickly - it proves two points. 1. Pay attention every day. 2. If it gives you a bad vibe, it probably is bad.

Jasper gets sick as a dog on the way to the vet. We have to go down two high mountains with curvy roads and she's urking on both of them. I always feel so sorry for her, but there's not a darned thing to do.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm so glad you caught that quickly - it proves two points. 1. Pay attention every day. 2. If it gives you a bad vibe, it probably is bad.

Jasper gets sick as a dog on the way to the vet. We have to go down two high mountains with curvy roads and she's urking on both of them. I always feel so sorry for her, but there's not a darned thing to do.
Oh don't you feel so bad for them? She was urking back and forth...the retun trip had nothing and of course two hours each way.

It looks smaller today and no more car sickness so she is certainly feeling better!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Poor little Zia! Target had a torn nictitating membrane when I first got her, and they put that dye stuff in her eye too!

Hope she'll be better soon! :hug8:
Does it give her trouble anymore?

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad you took her right in! I hope she feels better soon!:hug8:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Glad Target has no lasting issues!

She is feeling better but very mad at me about the eye ointment. Ah well...those are the breaks my wee one.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Good catch!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
And video of what it looks like....

Excuse the mess...just hosed everything in the aviary

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
And video of what it looks like....

Excuse the mess...just hosed everything in the aviary
Looks like someone was a little confused by weird scritches until that last bit where she seems to completely relax and roll with it! :loveshower:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Looks like someone was a little confused by weird scritches until that last bit where she seems to completely relax and roll with it! :loveshower:
She is getting used to me messing with her eye...lol. Of course when I put the ointment in she rubs all the feathers straight into her eye. I then have to smooth them all away and I am forgiven until the next time...She is really good about being handled to...wings, feet, belly...it's all good.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so glad you caught it! If she had rubbed it, it might have ulcerated and gotten infected. Did the doctor say it was a dermoid cyst or epidermal inclusion cyst?

I cant believe how tame she is!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm so glad you caught it! If she had rubbed it, it might have ulcerated and gotten infected. Did the doctor say it was a dermoid cyst or epidermal inclusion cyst?

I cant believe how tame she is!
For the life of me, I can't remember. I also had my friends bird with me and we were bouncing a lot between the two of them. She is very attached to me and will let me do most anything with her...she is a very smart little girl.