• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bath for my african grey

JessandBrad

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
Hi all! I have a grey rescue parrot that even after 2 years with us is still petrified of hands. He gets scared and falls on the floor if we try to mist him, and obviously showering with us is out of the question. His bath attempts are the standard flinging water out of his bowls and flapping, but he never actually gets at alll wet. So, I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out how I can get him to take a productive bath??? Help please!!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
How long have You had this bird? What is his history-He could have been punished by being squirted with a water bottle:( You can try putting a large heavy (glass casserole dish) in the bottom of the cage a couple days a week.It might take a long time for him to use it,perhaps if You run the vacuum and do not watch him,he might try the bath:hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Bonnie! Sadly many people will use squirt bottles as punishment. Try a large bowl in the bottom of his cage. If he wants to bathe in his water bowl, it's OK. When he preens he will clean his feathers that are wet. So many rehomed and rescued birds have baggage they carry that makes them fearful. What techniques have you used to try and gain his trust? Maybe we can help him and you feel better about each other.

RebelAngel

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Debbie
Duck was sprayed as punishment. He will accept a mister bottle spray bath now, but is unsure if he wants to back away or enjoy himself. He likes it more on top of his cage than inside it. He appears to like the mister function on the hose better than the bottle, so we will use that outside in his travel cage. He LOVES when I use my hands in his water bowl to collect water and drip it on him, the more water I can cup in my hand and pour over him, the better. I think hed love the sink or shower based on this, but he wont go near either and gets upset when I try to get him too close to the sink. He cant see the kitchen sink from his cage but will say "water" every time I turn it on. So it must be the sink hes afraid of, not the water. I think I will try the shower function on the hose instead of the mister next time he is outside.

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
i bathe mine in a plastic no tip dog bowl but that might be a bit small for a grey... lol

JessandBrad

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
Wilson (my african grey) definately loves me and my husband very, very much: he never has bitten us, lets us give him kisses on his beak, puffs up super happy anytime we talk to him or get near him, sings us whistle songs all the time, takes food from our hands, ect. We've had him 3 years. We realized right away that his main phobia was being isolated (his old owners kept him in a dark room with the door shut all the time), so we make sure he is always within eyesight of us, even when we sleep. I don't know exactly what his old owners did to him... I know he had no toys (when we got him every feather was pulled out, but now, as you can see in my picture, he is happily re feathered), essentially no human contact, was in a pen the size of a cat carrier. I try not to think about him before we got him because it makes me cry.

I have tried misting him, but as soon as he realizes im doing it he panicks and falls on the floor. I don't know if it was used as punishment but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Rebleangle I love that idea and will have to try it!!.

But yeah we already feel very good about each other, if I leave the room he calls for me repeatedly, and makes kiss noises if I walk by him without giving him a smooch on his beak. He is my little angel : )

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Could you mist and stop before he freaks and treat him? Then, mist a tiny bit more and treat before he freaks. You might leave the mister where he can see it, too. What temp water are you using? Some birds seem to enjoy a cold shower while others enjoy lukewarm to warm water. How about spraying yourself and making a big deal of how fun it is??? Will he touch greens? Get some big, leafy greens, like chard or kale, wet it down, and hang it in his cage. Just some ideas.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I put my amazons on a low pvc perch in the shower floor. I will sit in the floor by them. If they come off the perch, they're just a few inches off the floor. No harm, then will crawl back up. The perch is roughed up so isn't slick.

I spray a mister bottle into the air above them so it gently falls. One likes warm water, one likes cool.

After 3 years they are now accepting a mist from the shower..not thrilled, but accepting.