• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for basic information - Indian ringneck

Yogesh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Yogesh
I got to know that the mutations (yellow, albino, blue, rainbow and so on) have lesser taking ability compared to original green Indian Ringneck... Their learning ability is also lesser and are somewhat unintelligent compared to original green ringneck birds...
Bird lovers having experience of INRs may answer my doubts please...

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
This is just not true. It depends on the bird, not the mutation. I understand your confusion but I have not seen anything proving this. I may only have a normal green but I have met many other ringnecks. Look up on youtube talking IRN and the colors range. That's what I tend to do in my free time. :p Bird colors very rarely affect smarts, only genetic problems such as longevity and illness.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Like @Sophia101 said, I've never heard of color mutations have anything to do with a lack of intellegence. And no one should doubt the intellegence of IRNs in general...if they do, the people WILL be in for an unpleasant surprise....

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
Both of my indian ringnecks are colour mutations and neither is lacking in any form of intelligence ;)
Sapphire is violet blue edged (possibly cinnamon also, but we aren't a hundred percent sure) and she solves foraging toys designed for cockatoos. She does a fair few tricks and talks a bit too. She doesn't talk as much as our turquoise blue boy which is probably due to a combination of factors, she was parent raised in an aviary, she has never been trained/taught to talk and she has had bird companions for all but 2 weeks of her life so talking in human is not a priority for her.
I read an interesting article about the effects of enrichment on puppy brains recently, I am pretty confident that this also holds true for any other species also, though what is enriching will vary between species.
THE ENRICHMENT EFFECT

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I have to agree with the other comments here, mutation has nothing to do with intelligence or talking ability, my best talker is a Lutino hen, the green male I had only learned 1 word. It totally depends on the individual.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Ringnecks are intelligent, it does not matter what color they are. They also can be great talkers, but as with any bird, this varies according to the individual. My Joey is a grey IRN. She is sassy, spunky, and a joy to be around. The only time I have heard of color mutations affecting birds is when they are heavily in-bred (such as in albino's). I have an albino budgie, and he does have some issues from his albinism. His vision is not too good and he has some neurological issues. But he is still a wonderful bird, actually he's amazing, but thats a different story.

If you are browsing the web looking for Ringneck info, I would stop by indianringneck.com. Very informative site. :D

Yogesh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Yogesh
Thanks for all the valuable information... The reason I raised this query is I m from India, have seen green INR as pets from childhood and have observed them much active compared to the Colorado mutations... Green INRs are banned in India and the rule for mutations is not clear.. So I was wondering to get a yellow ring neck...

Yogesh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Yogesh
Correction : compared to the coloured mutations

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Didn't really read the other replies, just scanned through them.... and I agree. I don't have an IRN (do have an ARN under my care though) but it reminded me of a video....

And some other videos....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I think I have done my decision.. I will be getting a yellow IRN in next 2-3 weeks... The chicks are not completely weaned...
Congrats on your upcoming addition! IRNs are great birds....

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Please ensure the baby is fully weaned before it comes home with you. It is very beneficial for the mental and emotional wellbeing of the bird :)

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Congratulations! I can't wait to hear stories about your new cutie!

Yogesh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Yogesh
Yesterday I had been to the breeder to see how the babies are progressing...He is having a couple of ring neck chicks along with conure, Senegal, cockatiel and African grey chicks....as compared to the other birds the INRS were shying away, they were not much willing/ open towards humans...They were not accepting a basic step up which the much younger cockatiels did much easily... I am wondering whether INR is really a taming material ? Or do we have to take that as a challenge..

cosmic_owl96

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nichole
Hi, a few other people and myself may be raising up to four INRs in the near future I have a cage large enough to accommodate all of them when they've grown and completely weaned however the cage is an outside aviary. I have no idea how to get them accustomed to this environment, especially if they're hand raised and are meant to become pets in the future. My idea is to have them outside as much as possible (when they're ready) so they can become used to the idea. My main concerns is their exposure to the elements. I plan on renovating the aviary to make ensure that there can no mistakes with outside dangers, I'd also considered keeping their wings clipped for obvious reasons. I've never raised anything larger than a lovebird before if anyone has anything they'd like to share that could help me out info, pointers, personal experiences, best feeding schedule, bad/good experiences please tell me. I only want the absolute best for these little guys, thanks:x3:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Since IRNs come from South-Central Asia, you need a temperate climate for an outdoor aviary. They definitely will enjoy flying around in the aviary-they are strong, graceful flyers- so if you can get a safe environment for them, please consider keeping them full-flighted!
IRNs are very intelligent, active birds,and with consistent human interaction, are wonderful companion birds. Check out the all the other threads here about Ringnecks, you'll find out a lot of great info. Meanwhile, we're all here for you when you ask specific questions.
Titan, our IRN, has been with us since he was weaned, 24 years ago...he's a real treasure...:)