• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good companion birds for Rosy Bourkes?

RachelandEitil

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,

I recently got a new rosy bourke as my very first bird. I've had her for a couple of weeks and I am really enjoying her. Training is going slow but progressing. I just bought the one because I read that it is easier to train them and I really wanted to bond with her. Also she was very hard to find in my area, New York, where there is no breeders and I just got lucky when a petshop got her in.

So, eventually I hope to give her a friend and I was wondering if there is any birds that would make a good companion for her. I know the obvious option would be to get another rosy bourke, but as I said they are very hard to get in my area. So if I have a larger list of birds to pick from, then perhaps I can get her a friend sooner.

Thanks everyone!

Rachel

RachelandEitil

Meeting neighbors
Oh I should add on that I do live in an apartment so I have a cage as big as possible for the space. The cage is advertised as big enough for a single conure parrot and Eitil, my rosy, has her cage door open from about 5pm until bedtime at 11pm with access to the whole bedroom. So this is something to keep in mind as I believe my cage will be able to house 2 similar sized birds at most :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! With any species, there is no telling how two specific birds will react to each other. Some birds seem to dislike each other at first but over time grow to like the other bird. Bourkes are very small birds that can be easily hurt by a larger birds beak. Besides another bourke, I would think that a budgie would have a good chance of being compatible. Are you planning on caging them together? Many birds can be territorial about their cages, but are less so when out of their cages in a large open space such as a room. I hope that this helps some, and please ask as many questions as you have.

Matt

RachelandEitil

Meeting neighbors
Hi Matt

My cage is 24.75" L X 20.75" W X 32" H and here's a link to what it looks like
Petco Designer Green Dome Playtop Parrot Cage at PETCO

I was hoping to house Eitil and a friend together. It may be sentimental but I hear her talking to the wild birds outside all the time and think well once she is trained and bonded with me, then I will get her the bird companionship she is seeking. Budgies are much easier to get. Thank you for the suggestion. Do you think my cage size with plenty of open door time to fly around the bedroom would be sufficient? Or should I seek an even smaller bird if I can not find another rosy or budgie?

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
What about a cockatiel?

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I'd stick with another bourke - but either way you will need to have a second cage. You will need it for quarantine and you'll need it for when you introduce the two birds. Birds are like people in that not all individuals will get along. Imagine a stranger moving into your bedroom - you could become best friends or you could end up being total opposites.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I would suggest a cockatiel or another bourke. Both are pretty laid back birds and I've been told do well together. Although there's no guaranty that any two birds will "like" each other.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Size is important, but not the only thing to consider. Bourkes are submissive birds. Be very careful not to put a dominant species near them. I know 2 different people whose Rosy Bourkes were killed by tiny, but more dominant birds (one by a parrotlet and the other by a lovebird)

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I'd highly recommend another Bourke or a young Cockatiel.
This website (Australian) is excellent too.

RachelandEitil

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your advice. I will try to seek out a younger bourke (although hard to come by) or cockatiel. I am still doing research as to how to introduce them. Any advice on this will be helpful.

Also, not to completely change the subject, but my current bourke, Eitil, has develop a new habit that I am concerned about. She will step up on my finger nicely and eat millet but sometimes she seems to growl a little and I can't figure out what is upsetting her. Still working on bonding with her as I have only had her for 2months. However, this new habit seems like a step back and I'm not sure how to interpret it as she seems to be happily eating millet or sitting on my finger listening to me talk as she does it. Any ideas?

I think I will wait a little longer to get her a companion but I will definitely be looking into another bird for her within the next few months as I read it is better to introduce them when they are young. :) keep you all posted!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda