• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updated Common Food Guide

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Hi Everyone!

Just thought I'd share an updated ramphastid food guide that I recently put together. It's reminiscent of the Aracari Food Guide from the Toucan Husbandry Manual of the Riverbanks Zoo (which was co-authored by Jason Crean).

If you've seen the original guide you know that it has nice pictures, some extra info, etc that I didn't include. With my updated guide my goal was to update the iron and Vit C values in the table (using the most current USDA values), cut any inappropriate foods out of the main table (e.g. citrus, vegetables), organize the foods more appropriately by iron content, and add a few foods that the original table did not include. I also wanted to condense the table as much as possible (by eliminating a bunch of the more obscure fruits) which makes it easier for me to read.

Finally, I added a value for the iron content of common softbill pellets as a reference for comparison to the fresh foods. After converting their iron content (80ppm) to mg/100g I was kinda surprised that their iron content was so high, relatively speaking. I guess it's good that I limit Kevin's pellet intake to 1 tbsp a day. If anyone catches a mistake in my conversion though please let me know! And I'm always looking out for new foods to tantalize Kevin with so let me know if you have any fruits/veggies to add!

People may not find this new table more useful than the old one, but I just thought I'd share it anyways in case they do. :)

phairat

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathan