• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian Ringneck

Hannah.Green

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hannah
Im buying an Indian Ringneck bird. I have a cage its 30 inches from back to front, 16 inches from side to side and 23 inches tall. He will be out most of the day from about 6 am to 11 pm if even that. I feel bad for putting him int his cage being how small it is side to side. Will he be ok? Also Ive heard of people who just leave them out all day, Can i just do that if his wing are clipped and all the doors to the room are shut?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If the room/house is not safe, then no, not a good idea to leave him out 24/7. You could always look into getting a bigger cage for him?

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
It honestly depends on the bird. Kiwi is terrified of most things I wouldn't want him getting into and the things he does get into I just hide. He is out in JUST my bedroom all day. Their are no way for other animals to get in and it is child proofed to prevent accidents. The one thing is that he gets bored when he is alone and chews ALL the wood. It doesn't bother me but you wouldn't want his/her beak to get ahold of anything you hold dear.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Indian Ringnecks have very long tails, they need a larger cage to accommodate that tail alone, so they are one bird where height of cage is important... here is a pic of the pretty little IRN I was just fostering, she is on a 17" laptop computer. She is easily 15" head to tip of tail.

2015-04-17 18.13.24.jpg

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Sorry posted that before I had finished my thought!!! Not sure if all IRNs are like Penny, but she startled easily, so being free without supervision should be a worry. They always are exceptionally intelligent and curious about everything. Birdsafing a room for an IRN would be quite a challenge - wires, anything on table / dresser tops, windows, clothes sitting out (Penny was beyond fascinated and obsessed with anything vaguely shiny).

Hannah.Green

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hannah
ThankYou I wasn't sure if i needed a really wide cage or a really tall cage im having a hard time finding this in one cage. And my whole room is just for the bird no wires or dangers just a wooden dresser that the cage will be on. My window will be covered unless im home so he can get a little fresh air. Also I do have a mirror will he be ok with that mirror in the room? I love to play the radio also, but im not sure if it would bother him?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm personally not a fan of mirrors. Birds can easily become attached to their reflection, not realizing it's a reflection of themselves, and it can lead to abnormal behaviors as well as aggressive behaviors. Not only that but many birds think they can fly through mirrors.

Radios should be fine during the day.

May I ask, where are you from? If we knew we might be able to help point out some suitable cages.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I honestly wouldn't go any smaller than a flight cage... such as this.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/hqwroughtironflightcage.cfm

Once you ad in toys, perches, dishes, etc, it's not a very big cage! Trust me! And even if your ringneck is out all the time during the day, what if you need to run errands? Go on vacation and can't take him? It's better to have a larger cage in case you need it than one too small.

I temporarily had Sylphie, an African Ringneck (approximately same size as an IRN) in a cage slightly smaller than the one I linked to. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures that include her full length tail in the cage, but to me, it felt crowded, and yet the cage was kind of empty! There were two perches, a platform, a swing and a few toys. Not a lot of stuff!

I did eventually move her to one side of a double flight cage, which has the same dimensions as a single flight cage, and she had more stuff in there. More perches and toys. Even then, her tail feathers got a little beat up!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I honestly wouldn't go any smaller than a flight cage... such as this.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/hqwroughtironflightcage.cfm

Once you ad in toys, perches, dishes, etc, it's not a very big cage! Trust me! And even if your ringneck is out all the time during the day, what if you need to run errands? Go on vacation and can't take him? It's better to have a larger cage in case you need it than one too small.

I temporarily had Sylphie, an African Ringneck (approximately same size as an IRN) in a cage slightly smaller than the one I linked to. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures that include her full length tail in the cage, but to me, it felt crowded, and yet the cage was kind of empty! There were two perches, a platform, a swing and a few toys. Not a lot of stuff!

I did eventually move her to one side of a double flight cage, which has the same dimensions as a single flight cage, and she had more stuff in there. More perches and toys. Even then, her tail feathers got a little beat up!
Agreed-that's about the smallest cage I'd have for an IRN. They need so very much room so they can swing their beloved tail around! Titan is obsessed with his tail-he loves when you compliment it-but DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH IT! :eek::)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
3rd vote for a flight cage - 20x30 size would be perfect plenty of room in all directions including that tail :)

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I think a mirror is OK. Kiwi loves his mirror but I guess it honestly depends on the bird. I hear people talking about over attachment and aggressive behavior but I have never experienced that. It really is your own experience. Your room sounds overall pretty safe. As long as the radio doesn't have any dangerous cords!

Marci11

Meeting neighbors
Buy the largest cage you can afford. I have an African Ringneck and he has a temporary/travel cage that is 16x22 and 30 inches tall. It's a cage for a parakeet and my ringneck is way to big for it. My birds tail hits the sides and he has no way to flap his wings.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
They do have SUPER long tails that they love to fan and play with. You need a very large cage to fit it. The very biggest cage you can afford and fit in your home is usually the best option for any bird. But is especially important for medium+ birds. Bigger the cage the better. In fact I have an OK sized cage and I am looking to upgrade as soon as I can.

Katarina

Moving in
Real Name
Bird Goddess
My Indian Ringneck, both of them are out all day. I am home most of the time, or my partner is, we do not leave them alone , but one has a cage about 25 something wide and in lenght and 30 something high, but the other has a cage like just about 20 by 20 by 25 high , they have no problems, they mostly spend their time on their play stands I made on the cages anyway, or run around a bit. I would not keep them in a small cage , but I think its fine if its for sleeping only. If you are home most of the day or someone is, its fine to leave them out, but they need a play spot, you can make one by attaching stuffies, bendable perches or childrens toys on top of a cage if its flat. Or make a play stand , they love that. I made one for the kitchen windown out of something from a second hand store and attached a bunch of things to it, mirrors, toys.. it cost me like 10 bucks max. they love to sit there and one loves to eat his sliced apple first things in the morning while I make my coffie. I think a large cage is necessary if you are not around .