• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new Conure, please help!?

Alfie's Mum

Meeting neighbors
I need advice from other GCC owners. I recently got a GCC "Alfie" and he is the sweetest thing ever, so adorable. I read about training them to be tame (he came hand raised at about 8 weeks) so I got caught up on having to have full on time with him for 30 minutes per day and persisting even if I was nipped or bitten or he didn't want to come to me. A couple of times he ran away so much in his cage that he fell a short way onto the side of his water bowl, he never made a sound that it hurt but I delved deeper and read about giving them time and they won't become untame over night and they are just scared. I cannot risk him hurting himself and being afraid, I feel guilty but I honestly thought he'd end up stuck in the cage with no life if I didn't work hard at the bond from day one.
Can I give him as long as he needs? Perhaps open the cage and he can come out in his own time? Is it OK to let him have his way whenever he doesn't want to come out and runs away from me? I really want him to have some independence without sacrificing discipline but I cannot bear to think my previous mistakes have caused him to hurt himself at all, jumping off his perch etc... he really is such a special guy and I want to do the best for him, please help?!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Better to let them progress at their pace. You have to earn the birds trust first. Open the cage doors and let him come out on his own terms. After a while (may take a few days or a few weeks), work on step training to a perch and offer his favorite treats. It may take awhile, but he is young.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, give him the time he needs to adjust to you and come to you. You want him to "want" to be with you. Lots of treats and talking. Green cheeks love commotion. Throw on some tunes and bounce and bob and act silly where he can see you. They are highly curious by nature and if you sit and make toys or work on something, he will venture to see what you are up to. Just talk to him but let him make the first move. You will get there; keep in mind some personalities are skiddish, some bold and bitey, some sweet and velcro-ish. You just never know what personality you have... Work on your relationship before you are too concerned about discipline. If mine don't want to come to me or step up, I generally do not make them unless I need to give them meds, bedtime or breaking up the ninja boys fighting. They learn...they are smart little guys/gals. If I want snuggle time, I always ask them to step up and if they don't, I walk away. Most of the time they will follow me a few minutes later. With good yearly check-ups, good food and safe toys and cages, you will have 20 years....no need to rush.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agreed -- don't push him. Pushing him will damage his trust in you. Open the cage door and let him come out at his own pace. He's a baby and he's scared -- be patient.

Alfie's Mum

Meeting neighbors
Thanks, I'll back off. I read terrible threads about the birds winding up as basically aviary birds but in their small cage because they didn't get enough human interaction... if he'd injured himself jumping off his perch he would have squawked right? I'm fairly sure he is OK but so annoyed at myself I probably made him more frightened...
I was thinking of having him on his bird gym while I have dinner and giving him veges so he feels part of my flock, is he too young for fruit and veg?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh no, he is never too young for fruits and veggies. Very best thing for him! (well unless he is only in the formula stage)... Take a moment to read through some of the forums regarding foods. @Monica has done a very great post with much information. As far as hurting, just keep an eye on him. They bruise like we do. If he hasn't had a new bird wellness check, you can ask the vet when you take him/her.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
You can offer him fruits and veggies. But again, let HIM make the decision to come out of the cage and explore his new surroundings. Offer them in his cage if he does not want to come out and eat yours where he can see you. Listen to @webchirp ! She is very knowledgeable in conures!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You can offer him fruits and veggies. But again, let HIM make the decision to come out of the cage and explore his new surroundings. Offer them in his cage if he does not want to come out and eat yours where he can see you. Listen to @webchirp ! She is very knowledgeable in conures!
What she really means is that I am a sucker for those cheekie eyes and now am up to my eyeballs in conures. :angelic: Wouldn't have it any other way!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Here's a couple of threads I made in regards to diet. :)

Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists & More | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Please put yourself in his situation. Imagine you are in a cage with no way to escape it, then a tiger (or dinosaur - anything you are afraid of and is larger than you!) puts their paw/hand into the cage and grabs you out. You are terrified and frightened, so you try to escape, but have no where to go. Once you are out of your home where you thought you were safe from danger, the tiger then forces you to stay near him, regardless of how often you try to escape, and going as far as to accidentally hurting yourself, because for all you know, it could be a life or death situation!

Now, think about it this way.... imagine you are in your safe home and being tended to by a tiger. The tiger makes no move to physically interact with you and keeps a safe distance where you don't feel threatened. Sometimes the tiger will come by your cage and offer you your favorite food, but again, makes no move to physically interact with you. You watch and observe. Is the tiger trying to eat you or become friends with you?

Yes, birds can "go wild" if not interacted with, but that doesn't mean you *HAVE* to interact with a bird in order to tame them. Sometimes leaving them be while making small movements is enough! :) As an "experiment", I had 5 adult, flighted budgies. None of them were tame and only one was kind of comfortable with me. I started by feeding them food first thing in the morning from my hands within the cage. If they didn't come over, that was ok! Of course, if one budgie did it, another had to, as well! First budgie who did it isn't getting eaten, so *maybe* it's ok.... After they ate all the food, I would refresh their food dishes. Did this for two weeks, and on the third week, I had my hand outside of the cage rather than inside. They had to come to the cage door to eat. Repeated that for two weeks, so on the 5th week, I stood 4' away from the cage and did the same thing. They flew to my hand to eat from inside the cage! To get them back in their cages, I just refreshed the food dishes, as always! And they'd go scrambling back in!

This then led to me (unintentionally) feeding 5 cockatiels of various 'tame-ness' by hand and was extremely surprised when the most skiddish cockatiel decided to fly to my hand from the floor and search for food. When I was out, he even waited patiently on my hand for me to go and get some more food! Another time he flew to my shoulder! A bird that was so scared that he'd take off flying any time I came remotely close to him was now flying to me of his own choice! And even now, that I no longer feed the birds by hand like I did so they are not 'used' to still eating from my hands, the most skittish tiel is the first to fly over and start eating when I *do* offer food from my hands!

Jayde, my red throated conure, is another bird that I gave her some space. She was a terrified little conure who so badly wanted attention, but at the same time was afraid of it. If you walked away from her, she'd attempt to follow you, but not leave her cage! If you moved towards her, she'd run away in terror. The only type of physical interaction she would accept was head scritches, and even then, she wasn't completely comfortable with them. I let her be and didn't handle her if I didn't need to. I interacted with her in a hands off manner unless she was accepting of scritches. I moved her cage around the house so she could be "with" me without having to be on me. I placed perches on the outside of the cage so she could have a lower perch to sit on instead of the top of the cage. In a *very* short manner of time (shorter than I had expected - couple of weeks, if that?), she decided to take the first step. I was sitting on the floor next to her cage and she ventured down to come see me from the cage top. She would get skittish and scamper back up the cage, but curiosity kept having her coming back down. She eventually got far enough down that she could reach my shoulder, and with a lot of trepidation, she climbed on! She was *so* happy to finally have that physically connection with a human that she was purring and making all sorts of noises! And I didn't have to force her there! And since then, we've worked on her stepping up from her cage to my shoulder, then to my upper arm, then lower arm, and finally hands! Hands that she was terrified of! Now, she's flighted and if I attempt to leave her somewhere, she'll fly from where-ever she's at and directly to my shoulder! No leaving her behind! ;)

Please toss out the word "discipline" from your vocabulary and look into positive reinforcement training, clicker training, applied behavior analysis, force free animal training and Antecedent-Behavior-Consequence. No more flooding or learned helplessness, and all positive experiences! :)

Stitchy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chris
I have witnessed first hand that it is best to let them progress at their own pace. Our little guy has made so much progress in the 10 months that we have had him. The local pet store told me that I should be aggressive with him, luckily the same day I found this forum and learned that was not the way to earn his trust. Patience, that is the key. Our sweet little Stitchy may never be a hands on cuddler, but he is a love and will let us scritch him and has no fear of us now. He knows when I go near his play stand, that it is time to come out and waits by the door. :lol:

Alfie's Mum

Meeting neighbors
Today I felt like I made progress with Alfie. I had to pick him up to put him back in his cage (after he stepped out himself) when I had to leave for work today but I promptly and gently let him go to his perch and let him be, he seemed quite OK with it. I think he was surprised I didn't try and hold him and pet him today... I'm thinking his curiosity and want for the extra attention will make him come around :)

Alfie's Mum

Meeting neighbors
Also he didn't touch the veggies! Even after I put them in his cage. I removed them hours later so they wouldn't go bad in there and he immediately went to his bowl and ate a lot of his regular food! It was as though he was waiting for me to remove the offensive carrots so he could happily eat.. perhaps he is going to be neurotic :)

Heather F

Also he didn't touch the veggies! Even after I put them in his cage. I removed them hours later so they wouldn't go bad in there and he immediately went to his bowl and ate a lot of his regular food! It was as though he was waiting for me to remove the offensive carrots so he could happily eat.. perhaps he is going to be neurotic :)
He probably doesn't quite recognize it as food! Just be patient, and make a big deal out of eating it yourself and showing how yummy it is.... Eventually you will be able to convince him that it is the most amazing treat in the world just by trying to keep it all to yourself... :rolleyes:

CrestieLover

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ellen
Just be patient - it may take a while. But it will be worth the wait.