• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tiel "screaming"

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
Some of you knew I just got a older Cockatiel but I don't know his age about two weeks ago.

Since last two days he started to whistle or made a tune that sound rather sad...followed by that was knocking on the perches, cage, food bowls with his beak!!:omg: He even made the tune when he sticked his head in his bowl!:faint:

My tiel FB group told, it's tiel mating dance/ making territory. One of the member comment was: He is an healthy dominant male!

He could be loud!! And right after his "calls", the budgie answered back with squawking ARK ARK ARK. The budgie could made a very long "ARK.....ARK.....ARK.....ARK"!!:bash::bash::bash: I just sticked fingers into my ears and waited for the "ARK ARK ARK" finished!:bash:

I am in Southeast Asia, we don't have four seasons...so how do I know when is their breeding season? As I suspect he is hormonal??? I am not sure, he is one of my first birds. Anyone of you know when is the breading season over here??

Do you have any suggestions/advice? I don't know what to do? I think he is still scared of me too. He would eat spray millets from my hand but he is wary of me. In short, he still worry about me but he couldn't give up his millets. He could be moody too. One minute, he would come when I call, next, he just ignore me or walk towards me then stopped and wouldn't come any closer.

Help please!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Matt

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I don't really have advice, but my tiel Odin, who I think is male, bangs his beak too. And he is a sweet, lovey, snugglebug. I think the banging is normal. Odin doesn't scream, but he can get loud.
I hope you find the information you are needing. This is a good site.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sounds like a healthy cockatiel. I doubt hormones have anything to do with it. I don't really see a problem.

You've only had him two weeks. The situation is you don't know him very well and he is still trying to get comfortable.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I don't know what your concern is either. Birds make noise, and cockatiels are no exception. Mine beak bang, whistle, scream, talk, whine.... all day every day. If they are quiet.... they are either getting into trouble or sleeping. :D

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
Thanks for your inputs guys!

I was quite concerned he might develope behavioral issues. He could be bitey sometimes.... As a new parrot owner the last few weeks were a learning curve for me. I read a lot but none prepared me for living with real parrots especially a tiel. Don't get me wrong I like tiels characters since now I understood him a little bit more. Phew!

We are good now. Once i separated them (budgie and parrotlet) the budgie has calmed down a lot.

The cockatiel is getting used to his new home and me. We did some trust building training and bonding. In fact he starts to show his real characters. :cool:
Since Thursday, the day he escaped from his cage while I fixed his tree branch. Maybe because I didn't chase him, grab him.... I let him decides, he started to have faith in me. :dance5:A little.
Ever since then, I got cold shoulder, splashed with water, bitten..... Yea him being a cockatiel. He is a funny, willful, cheeky opinionated tiel but he is my boy.

Here are the evidence:hehe: of his "crimes"

Attachments

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Ahh your teil looks sort of looks like mine! Stormy / w a splash of sunshine. I have went through many a learning experiences to! I finished hand feeding mine and thinking he will never quit that squawking and screeching and get off the formula. Now he whistles all the time! He flies down out of cage when I clean it. Follows me all over. Eats hard boiled eggs with me. I put a little on one side of huge bowl and he eats it and I eat mine. He sits on my legs with a huge tray filled toys ( straws I cut in half, popsicle sticks, his bird seed, coil cat toys,) He plays w them then he loves to have neck rubs. He is by a window ( that is shaded by huge trees ) I have bird feeders by it he loves to watch them and he chirps at them! I have a ramp that goes to his cage and when I want him to go to his cage or his ready he will go to it by himself or I will say come on..and tap it. Give it time and he will be asking for you when he know are home..mine whistles a certain tune.

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
I think he might be bored too. He doesn't play with toys other than chewing branches, he definitely loves to chew. I have ordered some accessories n toys, hopefully they will like the toys.
Now he step up on stick, he is out when I am at home. He doesn't scream that much now.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Mine plays or rips apart these twine looking balls, Then this thing that has little wood colored spoons kind of looks like a helicopter toy? There is one that has straws on it he will pick at. Those string type ones he has no interest in. I bought him soft wood kabob toy today. I found few baby toys that have dangling things. You can go on pintrest and get ideas for homemade toys. I went to Wal-Mart and in floral section bought plain brown shredded paper then got a paper towel tube , cut it in half & poke holes in it the stuff paper in it and poke it through the holes then hang by a perch. They like to pick at the tube and paper.

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
Thanks for the ideas.... I have collected the paper towel n toilet paper rolls just don't what to do to attract them. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
:hehe::hehe: I like the "nature took its course" :lol::lol: