• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to expect

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
I am hearing about other members cockatiels starting to have hormonal effects. What should i expect from a (80% sure) male cockatiel. He is only a few months old.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
For Phoenix... it's a lot of whining, hand humping, and regurgitation. :(

Toffee's owner

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vinny
Hmm a boy ah. Well expect him to start wanting to stay out all night with his mates, loud music and smelly socks in the hallway. Oh hide the car keys too :S

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
No odd behavior so far...though he did fly around the room several times, finally landing on the fan and looking down at me (very pleased with himself and I very proud of him for his landing). Should i be adding anything to his diet (70% pellet, 20% seed, 10% other foods, i know its not the best, but he is VERY picky and usually just throws the strawberries and such to the ground), it will be hard to get him to eat anything, but if he truly needs it, i will add it.

Cozmo luvs feet

Meeting neighbors
We have a male cockatiel and he's already started his hormone crusade! He sometimes just gets mean (flying around trying to peck at my head , being a butt, no biggie lol) but once we leave him alone when he gets like that, he gets over it in about 20mins. Be assured that he won't be hormonal 24/7, so you can still enjoy your bird most of the time :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sunny tends to get territorial of certain things when he's hormonal. Not really with me- but with other people.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My male starts looking for little dark places in which to make a nest. He also gets just a little nasty, defiant, and loud. Nothing to crazy with him at all, which I attribute to the 13 - 13 1/2 hours of darkness he receives each night.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It depends completely on the little stud in question. Since I have a small flock these are the different studs: the nice ones who watch over their lady but aren't aggressive; the watchful ones who watch my every move when I check a nestbox and the one who actually flies at me when I check his lady's nestbox. then there are the singles who will sing to anyone and everyone who'll listen and are more than happy to sing with or in competition with me.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have 3 male tiels...my oldest - about 16 is the one who displays most of the hormonal behavior. He can be very territorial, aggressive and he has a favorite toy he likes to be hump. He is very bonded to another male tiel. And another male tiel of mine - shows none of that behavior and he is over 5 years old.