• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to the group - Getting a Hahns

Erin:)

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Erin
Hi everyone, thanks for having me. I'm excited to be a part this forum because you people are my ilk. Most peoples' eyes seem to glaze over when I talk about my fids because they're more interested in human children, cats or dogs.
I found this forum because I too was torn between a Hahns and a Blue crowned conure.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with a Hahns, next year. I look forward to hearing all about your quirky fids. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. And just to let you know, we love pictures.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Matt

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Hi and welcome

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
welcome!
I have both a Hahns and an elderly Blue Crown Conure if you have any questions.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:welcomesign:

TalkinTimneh

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathie
Hello Erin and WELCOME to a great forum full of information and friendly people!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave: And remember :needpics:

Real Name
Erin
Thanks everyone! I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate this site and how to upload pictures from my phone.

@MommyBird, I would love to hear your opinion on the difference between the two species: noise level, cuddly-ness, how they interact with other family members and just personality in general. Thanks

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Hi Erin, welcome to the avenue! :hug8:Your Sennie is gorgeous, and your Lovie is adorable!:heart:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@MommyBird, I would love to hear your opinion on the difference between the two species: noise level, cuddly-ness, how they interact with other family members and just personality in general. Thanks
My Hahns (jimi) is 11 and I've had him from a baby, my BCC (Will) is about 40 and I got him from a rescue about 5 yrs ago and the former owners let him out all day except for bed but I don't think they interacted much. So they have their individual personalities as well as much different histories. I live alone so can't really say how they would interact with other than me.

noise level: both high. Jimi is more prone to sessions of calling for me, and Will never does that but can beat him a bit on volume. They are both sentry birds and really get going when they see something they don't like.

cuddly-ness: Jimi is cuddly and likes scratches. Will is a hands-off bird who doesn't want preening by me or another bird.
Jimi is a bit independent but Will definitely is very independent.

Jimi is like most Hahns and very nippy. He also holds grudges and will bite (different from nips) with very little body language warning before the bite. I can never relax when I'm sitting with him, I always have to have a close eye on if he's going to bite and he is fast. It is "his way or the highway". He is very sensitive to my moods too. He's my buddy though and spends a lot of time hanging out on me and we also eat our breakfasts together daily.

Will is so smart it is scary. He has a playstand connected to his cage and spends most of his days out. He doesn't want to be touched, so I point to the cage and he goes in right away on his own. If he sees me putting on good clothes to go out, he goes in because he knows I will ask. He needs heart meds twice a day so he has decided on a certain perch to station on so I can towel him and give him meds without any fuss at all. He watches everything around him, learns routines fast, and figures out how to compromise with me.
My Goffin is smart in figuring out how to escape his cage, take something apart, or steal something from another's cage - but I've never seen a bird so smart as Will when it comes to interacting with his situations.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Welcome, welcome!

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
Welcome Erin :)

Real Name
Erin
Thanks for your reply, @MommyBird, I must admit, the idea of having a bite-y bird makes me very nervous. I have so much trust with my sennie - she can be moody, mean and sometimes slightly beaky, but she is always predictable.

Like I said, I'm looking for a new bird for next year, and I've been spending endless hours researching. I've also been trying to locate reputable breeders and local rescues. Basically, if I want a Hahns next year, I need to put a significant deposit down within the next 2 weeks or I will lose my chance. He/she would be shipped to me in 2016, so personality would definitely be the luck of the draw and so I'm counting on the odds. I posted the question "is you HM nippy/bite-y?" in a Hahns group and about 35% of the replies were "yes".

I'm feeling torn. Lol.
I want a family bird, one that my 11 year old human child can hold. I live in a condo - top floor corner suite with very thick walls, so noise is a consideration.
This is my parrot short list.
1) Cape Parrot ( pretty much impossible to get)
2) Hahns/Blue crown/ Noble (almost impossible to find)
3) Caique
4) Meyer's

Lol. I'm so confused.

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure whatever you choose, it will be the right decision.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
While my Hahnsie is a little nippy at times he is still a sweetheart and is my husband's favorite.