• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Parrot stand/Play gym !

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
Hello everybody !

Little Oliver has been with me since a little bit more than a week now, and I've worked on building him a big big stand / play gym to put in our veranda, that will end up being his bird room as it's covered not my glass but wood (sorry my english fails me here and I don't know what's the name for that kind of thing :laugh:)
It allows him to have a big room to fly around, protected from outside and escape but still with fresh air and outside noise to get him used to the outside world !
I started by using an old table top made from non toxic wood as the base, the border of the table make perfect fences to catch seeds ans droppings. Then I went for a walk and find that perfect big branches/trunk of eucalyptus. I washed it with hot water and allowed it to dry.
From a hardware store I bought 4 wheels, stainless steel hooks, screws and brackets.
We measured and saw the extremities of the branche and screw it to the base, and had brackets for stability.
It's not quit finished yet, a few more and thiner perches will come join the main branches, and I will use cotton rope and sisal rope to wrap the end of the trunk (where the brackets are, because not stainless steel) and some other parts as well like the top thick part of the branche. It's too thick for Oliver's claws so the rope will help him to climb and circulate more !
And more toys will join the rest as well.
Here's two pics of the almost done project !

FullSizeRender (3).jpg FullSizeRender (4).jpg

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
:loveit:And I can see that Oliver loves it too,:) great creativity and DIY!;)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Looks wonderful and Oliver is very handsome.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Awesome idea with just flipping a table upside down for the base :eek: I really suggest covering the base with peel and stick vinyl tiles. They make it a breeze to clean. You could also drill some holes in the base branch and add some thinner branches he could stand on :D

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
A word of caution. That base is metal and painted but because it is not designed for birds could contain lead or other toxic metal parts, such as screws.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
A word of caution. That base is metal and painted but because it is not designed for birds could contain lead or other toxic metal parts, such as screws.
I think the idea is to provide an enriching enough play area that they don't feel tempted to chew the base. That's the goal with mine, anyway. I've seen some people run dowel or PVC pipe along the edges to discourage chewing.

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
@parrotluv in the thread I explained that I purchased some cotton rope and I'm gonna wrap the base with it, I thought about it. As @Jaguar is mentioning, I don't think Oliver will be too tempted to chase the base as he's not a big chewer like a cockattoo could be, but every dangerous part will be wrapped in rope anyway just in case.
@Jaguar, that's some awesome idea ! It's far from being done and I have a few bambou, eucalyptus and cajeput perches to attach to it and create more climbing opportunity !

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
Looks great!!:highfive: