• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training a bird to bathe???

Cozmo luvs feet

Meeting neighbors
Hello! I have a 2 yr old cockatiel named Cozmo, and I've always tried to get him to bathe himself in water, but haven't had much luck. I've tried to see if he liked a shower, but he flew away every time. I also took a pie dish and filled it with luke warm water, and he did sit in it but didn't do the cute way of flipping the water up on him like wild birds do on a bird bath. I've heard that birds have to see another bird bathe that way in order to learn how to bathe properly, but I'm not sure if that's true. Any suggestions?:idea: Thank you

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Curiosity...my military & scarlett were both very leery of any kind of water. I would let the kitchen sink faucet trickle and just stand there and let them look. Then I started playing (gently & slowly) w/ the water and occasionally drip alittle over their head. This took months of just watching. The military loves his baths in the kitchen sink, the scarlet still prefers a good soaking w/ the spray bottle.

Attachments

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Have you tried using a spray bottle? My tiels like a fine mist of water from a spray bottle. Only a couple of mine like to bathe in a shallow dish of water. One of my 4 tiels did watch another tiel bathe in the dish and then went in the dish also. Also...when I use the vacuum cleaner - they tend to spread their wings, contort their bodies and do their "rain dance". If you see your tiel doing that - you might want to try spraying him then. :)

Cozmo luvs feet

Meeting neighbors
I've tried the spray bottle and it seems like he tolerates it, but isn't enjoying it. But he goes nuts when I'm running the vacuum, so maybe I'll see if I can do the rain dance with him too! Lol

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You might also try finding videos of cockatiels bathing, play that and spray your tiel, or find videos of the sound of rain. If you've only used a spray bottle, you might try using a plant mister instead. (finer mist)

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
If he has never had a bath from shower, faucet or spray bottle it might take him sometime. My Military prefers the kitchen sink while the Scralett prefers the spray bath.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Cockatiels are desert birds. They rarely bathe in dishes of water. They will wade in the water and maybe dunk their breasts. This echoes the wild behavior of wetting the breast feathers to take moisture back to to nest to hydrate the eggs.

My tiels do well with a fine mist aimed over their heads so it falls like gentle rain. When I first start the misting, they fly away from the mist. But I follow them around the room misting them until they get wet enough to feel the wetness against their skin. Then they get excited and do their rain dance and allow me to really wet them down. Then they spend at least the next hour thoroughly preening the wetness out of their feathers.

It is theorized tiels evolved powder down feathers to help them keep clean without the use of water.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
While some of my tiels like standing in a bowl of water what most of them prefer is to be misted - very gently misted - and it takes a couple of spritz before they react and open their wings and get really, really silly.

Cozmo luvs feet

Meeting neighbors
SandraK , that video is one of the cutest things I've seen! :laughing6:
It's funny how they all start spreading their wings and stuff at the same time. That makes me want to try using the spray bottle and persistently trying to get Cozmo to like it :)

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Odin loves the spray bottle! He gets all opened up and silly like in the video as well.

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
How's your progress on Cozmo? Does he like the spray bottle or no? c: I'm curious to hear! I've never gotten my budgie to bathe willingly, a couple times I sprinkled water on her and she insisted on burrowing herself between my side and my sleeve until she dried off, lol.