• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnies taking over from other parents

Caza66

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
i have a colony of linnies, which consists of Various mixes and includes 1 green pair (and an additional cobalt male), 1 pair of bonded females, raddy and hettie. Anyway, Skye, turquoise male, has mated with Raddy and successfully hatched 2 chicks. The green pair, also hatched 2 chicks but they unfortunately died, the last one died on Friday. Now these green pair and colbalt male are now keeping on going into the nest box of the 2 chicks. The green pair did have a habit of plucking their youngsters so I am worried that they will do the same to the surviving chicks or are they likely to be just feeding. They are nice big chicks and coming on nicely and are now almost a month old.

Should I take the green pair out of the colony?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I would. Their history of plucking chicks makes them unsuitable breeders.

Caza66

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
Thanks. I have put their old nest box back in the hope that they will go back in there, even though there are 2 other empty nest boxes. I have some dummy eggs in case she does lay again. I had decided not to breed them again after this failure. If they still go into the occupied nest box again today I will take them out, luckily I am off work today so I can keep an eye on them.