• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gender?

Ama

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the links! I found a few websites for more information on sprouting and the like. I actually found that website, the my safe bird store, earlier when I was looking for food. I ended up ordering from amazon cause it had a quicker shipping option (which was cheaper too). I got her the Napoleon seed mix, which from what I read is a pretty good seed mix. But I definitely want to start doing sprouting for her so I'll look more into that too.

Thanks for the information on her coloring too!

(On a side note: I decided to name her Gypsy ^.^)

Thank you again everyone for giving me information and being patient with me and answering all my questions, usually I do more research before getting an animal but didn't do as much as I should have this time(I thought I did, but there's more to bird care then I originally thought)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you for the links! I found a few websites for more information on sprouting and the like. I actually found that website, the my safe bird store, earlier when I was looking for food. I ended up ordering from amazon cause it had a quicker shipping option (which was cheaper too). I got her the Napoleon seed mix, which from what I read is a pretty good seed mix. But I definitely want to start doing sprouting for her so I'll look more into that too.]
That's a good seed mix. It's also safe to sprout (a lot of seed mixes aren't safe to sprout as they contain added pellets, veggies, ect. that would just mold up). However, although safe to sprout, I don't like to sprout it as it has a lot of flax seeds which basically turn into glue when wet.

I'm lucky enough to have a local health food store that sells a lot of grains in bulk where you fill your own bags, so I get little tiny bags of different grains. So when I sprout, I just make my own mixes. I typically make the bulk of the mix hulled millet, quinoa, wheat or barley, and a little mung bean, then sometimes with a little bit of added clover, radish, or broccoli seed. And you don't need to sprout seeds like you would for people, where you wait until the hulls come off and the sprouts have good sized roots. For birds, just an overnight soak is enough (unless you are soaking beans other than mung and adzuki beans... most beans need to be soaked/sprouted 24 hrs+ to be safe to feed uncooked).

Reactions: Ama

Ama

Meeting neighbors
I did read that they can be used for sprouting(which is one of the reasons I got them). I'll have to try it :) She seems to like them(I mix them with her pellets and she seems to be eating both).

She's getting more comfortable now, I think. She's a lot more adventurous. I got her a new cage and hopefully it will be here by next week(or this week if I'm lucky). The reason I got her a new cage is because the one she has now isn't very sturdy, and although I separate her and my dog when I'm not home(and I'm currently working on my dog not being reactive to her), anything that bumps her current cage shakes it pretty bad-so I'm afraid if my dog accidently bumps the current cage it'll fall over and she might get hurt. I got her an iron wrought flight cage(which is twice as big as the one she has now so I can get her more toys ^.^).

On a side note- I'm pretty excited because today she actually got on my finger and let me pet her.

Ama

Meeting neighbors
Blurry picture but here she is on my finger. I thought it'd take longer. I think she even knows up now(well I'm not sure if she actually does or it was just her going with the flow, but when I had my finger near her if I said 'up' shed get on it).

On a side note: are parakeets always so stubborn? It took awhile to get her back in her cage(I had to lure her with some food. Even though she got tired she didn't want to go back in XD)

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you had fun playing outside of your home, would you really want to go back in where the fun stops??? ;)

Ama

Meeting neighbors
Sad news to share my little gypsy passed away tonight. It was really sudden, she was fine earlier-active, chirping and eating food. Then when I went to check on her earlier this evening i noticed she wasnt able to walk well, like she was losing her balance. The avian vet near me (that I was going to take her to on Monday) was closed by this time and no emergency vet would see her
:( so I just held her until she passed away. This sucks...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Matt

Cynthia & Percy