• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you feed your Finches?

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
Other than seed mix, pellets, leaf veggies and chop and sprouted seeds.. What else do you all feed your finches. I am new to these little guys. Oh yes the egg stuff, the green dried salad and charcoal.

Attachments

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would eliminate the charcoal. And make sure you have some sort of calcium- crushed egg shell and cuttlebone (stay away from grit or sea shell if you can).

But the ratios are important: 50% seed, 20% sprouted seed, 20% fresh produce, 10% additives (egg food, etc)
(I often give a larger percentage sprouted seed)

Make sure you also give a supplement which contains trace minerals and vitamin D3. But they can eat just about anything- they can sometimes be a little timid of new foods. But I have made bird bread type things for them, fresh fruit occasionally and of course live food. Meal worms, etc.

The most valuable of the produce items are Apricots, Mustard Greens, Kale, Collard greens, Baby lettuce mix (not romaine), Carrots, Peppers, Zucchini, Turnip tops, and Herbs. I also give what I call 'Herbal Tonic' it is a mixture of herbs that does amazing things for the birds, reducing illness, increasing feather density and generally makes them calmer (healthy birds are happy birds).

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Multigrain bread, homemade bird bread, Caitec bird cookies are a well accepted fortified source of vitamins and minerals when broken open or crumbled a bit. They are a great foraging item for finches.