• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zinc toxicity

murphys girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
My Murphy's bloodwork reveals high zinc levels and the vet wants to start him on chelation therapy tomorrow (6 wks). He's drinking alot of water....his appetite is good but he hasn't been himself since around Easter time. I am so hoping this therapy gives him some relief. Does anyone have any optimistic info on heavy metal poison recovery? Getting discouraged as he had someone else read the xrays and they are also reporting a mass on his kidney? Will get the report and more info tomorrow morning when I bring him to the vet.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
My weeble tested for lead and zinc and I could tell she was improving by the 3rd day of treatment. With her it was one of those things where she wasn't so off it was alarming or terribly noticeable to anyone else, but it was very obvious to me since I know her like the back of my hand. Will be sending good thoughts to you:heart::hug8:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I will say that with weebs, her lead was more high than the zinc and she wasn't showing any neurological symptoms. I know those issues are a bit different.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Chelation therapy seems to be quite successful nowadays and the meds aren't as obnoxious as they were 18 years ago when my Hank had HMT.

Maybe the HMT will take care of the kidney too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Have you figured out the source of this poisoning?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There are so many zinc containing items we put in our bird cages. One must look at all the toy hooks and bells. There are stainless steel toy hooks and bells available. If any metal is in the birds cage and is not stainless steel be highly suspicious of zinc.

Also the cage itself can have some zinc. images of zinc toys in a birdcage - Google Search

murphys girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
Tomorrow morning we go see the bird Dr in Tustin at the bird clinic for a 3rd opinion. I'm told he has a xray machine with much better images of course it's twice the cost but at this point I'm just letting the money issue go. The x-ray report from the radiologist mentions to identifiable masses which are making me very uncomfortable I need to know what these masses refer to. For all I know they could be pieces of metal possibly. this is fourth day of chelation and I don't see any difference. I have removed everything from all cages and AM on my way to a marine supply store in Dana Point to get stainless steel pieces for everything. I'm getting rid of the cage this in their bedroom because he seems to be much worse in the bedroom than in the day cage in the living room. I want to get a ss cage but at this point I am so tapped out financially I'm going to look on Craigslist and see if there's anything at all.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I truly hope all your efforts pa off and birdie gets healthy. :bighug:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up

murphys girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
The vet in Orange showed me nine items in his gizzard that don't belong there. He advised that I stay on the oral chelation regimen that I have started him on and test again after the three weeks are done. Will retest for the zinc only. The doctor said that they all present with different symptoms. For mutphy he is just not the same wants to stay in his cage, is very lethargic, which is unusual, and doesn't want me near him which is really unusual. But the main symptom is his continual biting at him self under the wings on his back and on his belly. it's maddening to see him so uncomfortable. I really haven't seen too much improvement yet. I'm cautiously optimistic and grateful that I have a diagnosis with a treatment plan

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Do you know what the zinc level was?

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
My M2 Nani had zinc poisoning. ...she did very well with treatment. Her symptoms were falling off perches and little seizure like episodes. ..very scary. We think she got it from an old shower curtain rod...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
A number of years ago, my D2 tested at 3.9. We treated three separate times to get him to normal levels and every time he came down after treatment, he'd slowly creep back up. It was finally decided that this was just his normal and a new vet said he doesn't even consider numbers below 7 or 8 really serious. This was at least five years ago and we recently had him retested at an appointment just out of curiosity. I'm still waiting for the results.

murphys girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
A number of years ago, my D2 tested at 3.9. We treated three separate times to get him to normal levels and every time he came down after treatment, he'd slowly creep back up. It was finally decided that this was just his normal and a new vet said he doesn't even consider numbers below 7 or 8 really serious. This was at least five years ago and we recently had him retested at an appointment just out of curiosity. I'm still waiting for the results.
My eclectus was biting frantically at himself (not picking) acting like something was biting him. The zinc and lead was just one test in a series and I seriously never considered it would be high. I wouldn't have had him at the vet except for his discomfort (whining, wanting to stay in the cage all day, not wanting to be with me). These were all highly abnormal for him. He's now on the 3rd set of 5 days on 2 days off. He's better but still has some biting of himself. The wing flipping has almost completely subsided. Aside from buying a SS cage that I can' t afford ($3k on my credit cards for vet bills at this point), I have eliminated any possible source (hardware around cage and toys, etc.) If this problem is not the zinc I don't know what I'll do. I am clueless about the 9 foreign items in his gizzard. I'm sure the vet will want to flush him or something?????

murphys girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
Curious what the new zinc level was???

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Curious what the new zinc level was???
2.7!!!!! I was shocked! It's still considered a tad bit high for Cockatoos (2.5 is the normal high for them). I never did figure out what he got into that had brought it up to 3.9 or why we couldn't get it down at the time. Zinc is such a weird thing. How is Murphy doing? Did you start the chelation? Are you seeing any improvements? With Reggie I never saw any real improvements...maybe a little when he was on the medication but it would stop when we stopped the meds. They do say that with chronic zinc toxicity it can take forever to get it out of the organs. Reggie's case had to have initially started way back in 2007 or 2008 and we treated for about six or seven months.