• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Allergies? :(

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I cannot think of anything I have done in the past hour other than handling my tiels that would cause me to break out in itchy hives/rashes on my arms and hands. It has been happening on and off the past few weeks but I've been trying to tell myself it's not because of my birds. It's uncomfortable but tolerable, and I'll try to be more strict about washing my hands immediately after handling them, but does anyone have any tips to minimize the breakouts? :(

Last edited:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
It might not be because of birds. I know I get hives when I'm stressed (also get migraines then too) whiles hives are generally associated with allergies you can get them from other causes.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Have you put in any new types of perches? You could be allergic to the wood, and are having this issue because of that. Similar to if a person touches the bark of a tree that they are allergic to.

Matt

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
any antihistamine, ie hay fever tablet, will reduce the symptoms. I suffer from hay fever and use Loretadine as the active ingredient

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
It might not be because of birds. I know I get hives when I'm stressed (also get migraines then too) whiles hives are generally associated with allergies you can get them from other causes.
I can't really think of anything else... I woke up from a nap, put the birds to bed, and sat down, and was itching only a few minutes later. It seemed like more than a coincidence.

Have you put in any new types of perches? You could be allergic to the wood, and are having this issue because of that. Similar to if a person touches the bark of a tree that they are allergic to.

Matt
That's an interesting theory. I added willow perches back in April. I'll play with them a bit tomorrow and see if that provokes a reaction... but I don't have a history of allergies.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
any antihistamine, ie hay fever tablet, will reduce the symptoms. I suffer from hay fever and use Loretadine as the active ingredient
Is that a solution that would work for the next... 20+ years that I might have parrots? :faint:

birdle

The main reason I rehomed my tiel is because of allergies.. Both myself and my conure were affected by her I especially was when she'd climb on me and any scratches or anything would become inflamed and itchy and I'd eventually started getting small hives maybe you should try experimenting handling different things around the house and see if something specific sets you off if not maybe try to up their baths so there's not as much dust? Good luck! They're so dusty I've never been allergic to things but to her I was.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
The main reason I rehomed my tiel is because of allergies.. Both myself and my conure were affected by her I especially was when she'd climb on me and any scratches or anything would become inflamed and itchy and I'd eventually started getting small hives maybe you should try experimenting handling different things around the house and see if something specific sets you off if not maybe try to up their baths so there's not as much dust? Good luck! They're so dusty I've never been allergic to things but to her I was.
Yeah, the amount of dust and dander they produce is crazy. I know I need to get an air purifier. One of the main reasons I had to move their cage away from my desk was the insane sneezing & dust boogers (sorry- gross but true)

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
If you do turn out to have allergies look into allergy shots it takes 5 years to complete them but it would definately help.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Keep the birds off your skin. Always wear sleeves. If it is allergies all they have to do is stand on your skin and you will get a rash.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yeah, the amount of dust and dander they produce is crazy. I know I need to get an air purifier. One of the main reasons I had to move their cage away from my desk was the insane sneezing & dust boogers (sorry- gross but true)
If they caused you to sneeze I would certainly think they could cause hives and a rash. I'm allergic to pretty much everything so I can totally sympathize with you on how aggravating it is. I agree with JLcribber that you should wear sleeves when handling them -thick ones so those little talons can't penetrate it.

Loratadine is what is in Claratin. It is over-the-counter and you can take one every 24 hours to reduce your allergic reactions. I take one a day and have done so for years. It is a non-addicting medication so you can stop whenever if it's not working for you.