• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saved by the cockatiel!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I could not find my way back to the house after I went deep into the woods behind the house, to the part of the creek where I had not been before to hunt for pretty rocks. I wandered around for 20 minutes, going one way or the other, falling a couple times.

Then I heard Snuggles whistling. Thankfully he kept it up til I found my way back. I'll need to make a breadcrumb trail or something next time. I have a very poor sense of direction. :rolleyes:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The wild birdies will eat da breadcrums just like they did in the fairy tale. Have you ever heard of a compass? Another trick is to notice whether you went up the stream or down the stream from your house at the beginning of your walk. Once you know that, then you can just follow the stream back home.

I hope you gave Snuggles a special treat for rescuing you!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There a compass in my iphone and I might have been able to get back faster using it, but I don't know. I did not think at the time to check the sun's position in the sky, duh. That may have helped. Maybe.

I'll have to give Snuggles a sunflower seed. That's a rare treat.

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
I am sure she has heard of a compass :) good thing you got home safely! it is very easy for me to get lost... even close to home but not knowing where you're at is disorienting. go snuggles!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to spend a lot of time in London, Ontario. There was this one street, Hamilton road - it may as well be the Bermuda trial. I always get lost around there. I ended up at the same gas station twice trying to find a location. Told you I was bad.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Take a can of spray paint with you and spray trees or the ground as you go by (obviously not the whole time)

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm glad you made it back safely and that's really neat it was your birds that helped you!
Don't forget to be careful though, if there is a next time. In my limited experience birds tend to be quietest when you actually want them to be loud. :lol:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
trail tape helps too

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
your phone also has a GPS... ;) glad you made it back safe in any case.

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
Take a can of spray paint with you and spray trees or the ground as you go by (obviously not the whole time)
We do this in Europe using different colour paint for set safe routes and put numbers and an arrow (it used to be a notch system in days gone by), that way if you have fog or heavy snow you can find your way back.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
OMG! Good boy Snuggles. So glad you made it back!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
your phone also has a GPS... ;) glad you made it back safe in any case.

Yeah, that's what hubby said. I don't trust that thing. I tried to find my tattoo guy in London (Ontario) when I was last home and it took me somewhere else completely different. I can never remember how to find him. (I'll post the most awesome tattoo later!)

I have never heard of trail tape, Laurie. I am going to do that! Come to think of it, though, I have seen it. What an excellent idea. I have bright pink tape I used to put around the young trees in the front yard so kids don't run into them at Halloween. :hween1::hween7:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
we use it at the farm all the time. when moving sheep from one pasture to another, we use it along the road, to mark where we need to go to. our dogs know to look for the bright neon yellow tape, on the gates. it's funny because they will stop and sit down right in the road at yellow taped gate. we pull the tape off as we go back to the farm.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
our 4 little border collie X's know that tape means, they get to go home and have some supper. the 3 guardian dogs know that this will be their home for the next 3 to 4 weeks. we always take some treats with us for the dogs but most of the time they starving by the time we get home. the big guardian dogs; Suffa, Princess & Olga are out front of the sheep and us on four wheelers. the little dogs have learned to stay back of the sheep and the big guys. if they don't they snapped at by the big guys.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL, I did it again! This time it was for hours and my legs are covered in bruises. One whopper is circular and about 3 inches across. If I don't get poison ivy, it will be a miracle. My chin is itchy, but I really hope it's something else. I fell face first several times. I'm such a klutz.

I told my dad what happened. He said we will mark the trail very well in the fall when he visits. I can't believe -- well, yes I can believe I did it again. I put up bright pink tape on the trees on the way to the creek and down stream, but not well enough, I guess. Hubby tracked me with his GPS and directed me home. I was pretty close, maybe 10 minutes away.

Thanks for the information, Laurie. There is a Dick's nearby.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
you are welcome