• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello, everyone!

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
Hello to every member of the forum!

My name is Svetla (the Bulgarian equivalent to Claire), and I have six adorable little budgies. I am crazy about budgies, they are a weakness of mine.

My birds are Tchitchi (female), Sini (male), Belle (female), Pippi (female), Titilina (female) and Kapi (male). They get out-of-cage time every day. I clean their cages twice a day (morning and evening) and I feed them sprouts and veggies (lettuce, parsley, broccoli, endive, spinach, carrots, carrot tops, dandelion leaves, basil, celery) and hard boiled eggs (once to twice a week, and sometimes a few days in a row during moults. They are not too keen on fruits but do nibble on a piece of apple occasionally. I feed them dry seeds in the evenings if I have no sprouts left, but sprouts make up 80% of their diet.

My birds are very good eaters. They love their veggies and hard boiled eggs. Little Pippi is my only birdie which looks really miserable when moulting, and giving her sprouts with eggs and powder vitamins (from the vet) seems to help her a lot. In less than two hours' time, she looks like a completely different bird.

I also put several drops of organic apple cider vinegar in their drinking water.

My birds are fully flighted and make the most of their out-of-cage time every day. They are excellent fliers and jet around my living room in a flurry of colours. No problem with windows and such. They know where those are and have worked out the parameters of the rooms/apartment.

Here are some pictures of my birdies: little Pippi, followed by Titi (the lutino (yellow) girlie) and Kapi, Belle (cobalt female), Pippi and Sini, and Tchitchi (last picture).

Regards

Attachments

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
:welcomesign: Your birds are beautiful and it looks like they are happy, healthy, and well cared for. We love hearing stories about them.

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
:welcomesign: Your birds are beautiful and it looks like they are happy, healthy, and well cared for. We love hearing stories about them.
Thank you, Theresa!

The "six musketeer" are just back with me after spending a few days with a breeder friend while I was away on holiday. Kapi is a gift from this friend (Claire).

As they are not let out of their cages while with her (she has too many birds and it is too complicated/risky for her to let them out), I am sure they were happy to fly around as soon as we got home and I opened the cages. They wasted no time climbing out and going for a flight.

I am lucky my birds get along well. I initially thought little Pippi was a male, but Pippi turned out to be a female. She is my smallest (size-wize) birdie. I think she is a bit stunted in her development as she still has a few black marks (from the stripes) on her forehead even though she is a little over two years old now. Her cere never gets fully brown as it should when she is ready to breed. An ever so slightly brownish tint appears only, which you have to look closely to see. Other than her size and her barely changing cere, Pippi acts as and is a normal budgie.

I love my birds very much.

I also help out my friend Claire with any of her birds if they need special care. Don't get me wrong, she looks after her birds very well and treats them whenever they get sick, but if I see a birdie which I think is not doing well (such as being too thin for example), I suggest to take that birdie home with me to see if I can help him/her out.

Kapi is my strongest flier. All my birds are excellent fliers, but he is the one who flies most when out. He serves as an example and as a "flight trainer" to Claire's birds, whenever I have one of them with me. Claire's birds live in an indoor aviary, but they do not fly nearly as much in it as my birds do in my apartment, which is why compared to my birds, her birds are weaker/slower fliers.

It is amazing to see how quickly birds recover their flying strength. I see changes every day when I have Kapi together with a bird which I am helping out. When Kapi flies, the bird follows, hence flies more than he/she would otherwise. Initially, the difference between the two birds is striking, but then, as days go by, I can see the weaker bird improving, and this is a joy to see. So Kapi is in a way my "therapist" bird.

Also, Kapi and my other birds show, by example, to any newcomer that veggies are a delicious food, and it takes one example only for any new bird to start eating whatever veggies my birds are enjoying.

Because of all this, I think that staying at my place is beneficial to any birdie that spends time with me (I introduce him/her to my birds after proper quarantine of course (two months)). I also sometimes take sick birds from the pet store to treat them - our (Claire's and mine) last case was a birdie with scaly mites - she is fine now).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave: Your birds are adorable!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Matt

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome - your budgies are beautiful!

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
:welave: Your birds are adorable!
Thanks, Michelle!

In some of the pictures my birds have orange near their beaks due to the carrots in their food.

A bit of clarification to my previous post - any new bird that has healed goes to my friend's place as she has the space for such birds (I don't). I am just the "care-while-sick place":)

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
Thank you for the words of welcome, guys!

Before joining the forum, I read (twice) the Multiple Bird Syndrome thread. I found it fascinating!

Last edited:

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
:hello:Welcome to the avenue! Your budgies are gorgeous, glad you joined, have fun!:)

Jazzy*

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
welcome :) love the pics or your 6

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Bienvenue a AA Svetla! No my French is not fluent but are some words I still remember from school. Welcome to AA! Your fids (feathered kids) are beautiful and you obviously love them very, very much. I'll look forwards to your fid stories.

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
Bienvenue a AA Svetla! No my French is not fluent but are some words I still remember from school. Welcome to AA! Your fids (feathered kids) are beautiful and you obviously love them very, very much. I'll look forwards to your fid stories.
Thank you, Sandra! I live in Brussels but I am Bulgarian:) I do speak French as well, but English comes a bit more easily to me. My mother's tongue is Bulgarian:)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Your budgies are beautiful.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you, Sandra! I live in Brussels but I am Bulgarian:) I do speak French as well, but English comes a bit more easily to me. My mother's tongue is Bulgarian:)
My youngest son, Justin's, BFF Jivko is Bulgarian. They're now 24 & 25 respectively and have been friends since 3rd grade (9 years old). Since all the boys in my family have "J" names (John, Jeffrey, James, Justin) we jokingly claim that Jivko is the fifth Kassabian covering a name that starts with "Ji".:lol:When Justin had first met him at school, he came home and told me he had a new friend who was Vulgarian ...:confused: