• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing...

Inky

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah Tidwell
...Misha!

He originally came from a household that kept him in a cage with another bird who plucked, and then took to plucking Mish as well. He was born with splayed legs, but supposedly it was repaired to an extent. Then he had an accident before he was 1 year old, landing wrong with clipped wings, and broke a leg. Supposedly, again, medical treatment was sought for this, too. But I'll never be certain of anything other than he didn't need to be kept with the other bird after so much damage had been wrought.

He was being offered up by his original owner on a local bird group on FB as free if some one would just come get him. He was in Chicago, I was in Louisville. I still wanted to help him out/offer him a home if possible. I reached out looking for some one willing to take him in for a few weeks. An angel stepped forward and offered to foster him. This was all back in February, right before I was due to go to Finland for a week, or else I'd have probably driven out there, lol. He clearly needed out of where he was. His original owner was moving and had decided on only taking one bird. I think Mish and her other bird had grown too bonded (and it seemed to be a distressing and unhealthy relationship anyway) and she had decided to take the one she was closest with.

What was only going to be a couple weeks turned into a few months. During this time, Mish regained much of the weight he had lost, fattening on blueberries, mash, and pellets. He started to molt, growing back some of the feathers that had been chewed off of him. He also began to slowly and tentatively trust people again, as foster-momma worked with him occasionally.

Things wound up working out beautifully, in the end. Foster-mom came to visit her family in Louisville this weekend, and brought little Mish with her. :yahoo:

He struts like Igor, waddles like a penguin, enjoys dangling upside down like a bat, lol...hopefully Doodle and he will be great friends.

For now, I'm letting him rest after a long car ride. He has poked around in his new cage (palace) a bit. Found his food and water and had some of each. Quacked back n' forth with the Dood. Hehe.

(And, I know...I know...Quarantine would be ideal. BUT. The only place I could successfully quarantine a flighted bird would be the basement. Our house layout is pretty open. I felt the las thing this little guy needed was to be shut in a dark, cold basement for 6 weeks. The foster mom had him for 3 months without a single issue, apart from him arriving underweight, and that was remedied asap. They have their own separate cages, but they're in the same room, and next door to one another. I'm taking a risk, I acknowledge that, but I was uncomfortable with the thought of housing a stressed bird in the basement. It will be several days until I plan on letting Misha out to explore, and much longer than that before I really let them interact. He will have a vet visit this week too.)

I'm attaching some photos I took today, along with some from his foster momma...Cute little dinosaur.

From foster mom, some cuddle action....
11040140_613099467587_1956490217_n.jpg

Another from foster mom...
11007579_612649319687_176266123_n.jpg

Today, settling in to his new cage...and yes, those nails need a TRIM by goodness.
IMG_2488.JPG

And sharing a little millet this evening, working on how well we trust one another. Apparently his weaknesses are blueberries and millet...hehe.
IMG_2495.JPG

We have big steps to take towards trusting one another, but I was pleased tonight to have him snacking on millet from my hand. His gait/balance lends a lot of awkwardness to how/where he feels stable, it seems. He almost always has a grip on the side wall of the cage, and seemed to appreciate the platform in front of his food bowl because he cannot hold things with his foot like other parrots. Eating it on the platform helps. I have no doubt this may affect handling, but we will get there, gentle and slow.

I guess my only big question is how long do you think before this damage to his feathers gets all molted out? He has been away from his abusive cage-mate for about 3.5 months, now. And he is molting some, now...I have spotted a couple new tail feathers and flight feathers, as well as a few on his back/neck. His foster never noticed him chewing his feathers, and the original owner's other bird had his own chest/legs plucked, but not his head. Going off what the owner said, the photo's of her other bird (at the time and recently), and Mish's head being plucked where he would never have been able to do it on his own, I'm fairly certain she was truthful about the other bird being the plucking culprit. Tomorrow I may give him a spritz bath if he takes to it...because with all those new feathers coming in he must be itchy.

Attachments

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Thankyou for taking him, :) he is gorgeous:swoon:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Awww he is a cutie and will thrive in Your care:hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwww. Hopefully he and dood become good friends or at least not enemies.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:xflove: Sweet baby...He should have feather re-growth by now though. Keep an eye on the bottom of the cage or outside the cage (where I usually find Giggie's handiwork). Sometimes when they are with an over-preener, they do the same. Just rule out medical and go from there. It could take a bit if it is going to happen. Congrats and a special thank you for getting him quality care and vetting.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Hes a beauty! looks like a little fluff ball with all that down showing. Im glad hes with you!

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
So happy you were able to take him in. He will do just great in your care. I can't answer the feather re-growth question but just wanted to wish you both good luck in your upcoming journey!
Thank you for taking him in and loving him :)

Inky

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah Tidwell
So far I haven't seen any evidence of over-preening or plucking. (Nor did the foster momma) ...I know, its only been two days...but I'm keeping a sharp eye out! I have spotted at least one tail feather that looks brand-new and not mangled, along with a couple fresh-looking flight feathers. But nothing has yet to reach the bottom of the cage apart from poo and food, hehe. Going back to when I first started talking to his original owner, I was reminded that he is actually the same age as Doodle, instead of a year older like I'd thought. The original owner had sent me photos of him fully feathered (legs still splayed) initially...and supposedly the feather damage happened within the last few months or so as she was packing up to move and stressing her other bird (the known plucker) out. I will not rule it out entirely, but I am hoping that his dandy new feathers come in just fine.

He took a bath today! So I hope that will help with any discomfort. A good bath can do wonders.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
He is gorgeous! Thank you for taking him away from that awful situation.