• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lameness? Bumble Foot?

Pony25

Sitting on the front steps
For the past two months my tiel has been exhibiting odd behavior and now it's gotten really bad. Two months ago I took her to the vet for nail trim and wing clip. About 3 days later she got real quiet and sleepy and hasn't been singing since. She would eat and drink and poop normal just not vocalize or be very active. A few weeks later she started to show signs of improvement being more active out of the cage but then she started toe tapping. She did this toe tapping for two weeks or so. The entire time I was in contact with my vet who said he didn't know what it could be but if everything else is normal just wait it out. About another week later she stopped toe tapping but was still not vocal so I took her to the vet and he checked her weight and everything and got a clean bill of health. He thought she might be under stimulated and thus bored. Ok so I started taking her outside in her cage and just being more active with her but still no better. Then three day later she started limping on left foot. Took her to vet he said it's not broken like sprained so he gave metacam. Now it's been three days and last night I got home from work and she was laying on the floor.of her cage on a towel. The doctor mentioned this might happen so at first I wasn't concerned but then I noticed her other foot was now completely stiff. So both her feet won't curl around a perch. She can walk but it's very stiff. Does anyone know what this is? I will be going to re vet as soon as they open but I would like to be able to discuss options of what it could be.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is this an avian vet you're taking her to? He doesn't sound very skilled/knowledgable. What kind of tests did he do?

Pony25

Sitting on the front steps
He physically examined her but that's it. He is an excellent vet and even works for the zoo here. So I just don't know what to do.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Get rid of him and find another vet or go to his office and demand he runs more tests to see whats going on. This sounds like a situation that needs immediate attention. Is there an emergency avian vet you could take her to :cool:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This sounds like weakness instead of bumblefoot. The latter usually presents with the start of pink patches developing on the pads of the feet. I would have bloodwork done ASAP by a certified avian vet. I hope she will be OK.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how awful! I hope you can get her to an avian vet ASAP. She needs immediate care. This isn't bumblefoot. I hope she will be okay!
:sadhug2::sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree- I think she needs to got the vet right away. I hope she's okay. I doesn't sound like bumblefoot to me either.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Avian vet ASAP and one that know what the heck s/he is talking about.