• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopt four babies ready to hand feed?

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have had success in feeding and hand raising parrotlet's a few years ago. Today I was asked to take four babies belonging to a lady that does not have time for them. They are four greens it appears as both parents are green and the oldest one has feathered enough that she knows it is a female. Two are male and one is unknown. She would give me the food and her supplies for them. I would need to find homes for them. They will all turn out wild and untamed if I don't help her out. Yikes!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's so nice of you to think about helping. :)

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I would have a hard time saying no, that's just me... LOL. Good luck on your new adventure:hug8:

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
All four of them are arriving this evening about 7:00 p.m. I am preparing my space to receive them and maybe I can post some pictures after a day or two!

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have them all fed tonight with full crops. They were very hungry and are very thin. The oldest one is flying and may be about 5-weeks old. She is eating some millet and pretty well refused the formula. The other three ate, but it was difficult to get them going. One of the males has what appears to be a bruised beak and a pecked head. I hope in the coming days they will all calm down with good food and quiet atmosphere. The oldest one needs to be separated from the others tomorrow and she is ready to graduate to a cage with perches and get used to regular foods along with the millet. That is if she can move about without being petrified.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are doing a good thing :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a little cutie. :). How are they doing today?

Last edited:

Coros

Walking the driveway
Aaaw, what a bunch of cutie patooties

Last edited:

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
Awwww

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
awe there so cute!

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Just found homes for both males! The folks are very excited and doing their cage set ups now. They will pick them up in a few days. I still have both females. They are very healthy and I am still hand feeding the baby!

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I love hand feeding baby parrotlets, plus they're so much fun to work with too! How are the babies doing right now?

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I love hand feeding baby parrotlets, plus they're so much fun to work with too! How are the babies doing right now?
The males that were so bruised are doing great! They have very good homes and anxious folks taking my advice on how to give them a happy home. One of the males is already whistling!
I still have the two females. The oldest one has her wings clipped as I took her to the avian vet to have it done so I could work with her. She was not hand fed but she is already stepping up on a perch and tonight for the first time she stepped up on my finger! The youngest, being hand fed by me, is such a sweet sweet baby. She has been stepping up for over a week and is now off formula.

Thanks for all your encouraging words!

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
@Vicki - Would love to see pics of the girls!! I have the sweetest 10m old dilute blue male.......thinking he may need a GF!!