• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Baby

Beckio

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Becky
Hello everyone, I've just secured my baby grey at 8 weeks old from a breeder. I pick him up in 4 weeks :) I'm so excited.
I have a question about pellets, my breeder has told me to buy Hagen Lifetine Tropican Granules, for when I take him home and also topical seed mix. Is this the right thing to do as I've been reading posts and you all suggest Harrison's is the best pellets? Just want a little advice, thanks :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! I think initially it's always best to continue to feed a new bird what he's used to eating. He has enough stress moving to a new home, etc. without also giving him unfamiliar food. Long term- I don't know which is better but I'm sure others will answer soon.

@Danita ? @jojomom ? @DQTimnehs ?

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

'Seed' mix for Greys is not healthy, but for me 'seed' mix is what the mix you feed budgies or tiels. Greys should not be on high seed diets. If you use mixes like goldenfeast or the mixes that are sold by mysafebirdstore, they have healthy seeds in them.

For pellets, mix things up, birds get tired of eating the same thing all the time. Hagen is not a bad option to have in the rotation, but also offer Roudybush California, Harrison (if your bird will eat it), Caitec oven bites, and I usually have Zupreem natural and nut pellets here too, but careful with Zupreem, they add sugar. But, when you offer a variety and different pellets, you will help to ensure your bird is always getting a well rounded diet and not bored of the same thing all the time, then issues with them not wanting to touch a pellet.

I usually have 3 or 4 of the 'mixes' from Goldenfeast and MSBS, but I also like Hagen Tropimix and usually have that here too :)

Lots of fresh foods for your Grey too!! Get started sooner then later so he's a healthy eater!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Hello everyone, I've just secured my baby grey at 8 weeks old from a breeder. I pick him up in 4 weeks :) I'm so excited.
I have a question about pellets, my breeder has told me to buy Hagen Lifetine Tropican Granules, for when I take him home and also topical seed mix. Is this the right thing to do as I've been reading posts and you all suggest Harrison's is the best pellets? Just want a little advice, thanks :)
No, not Tropican, I was just discussing this with someone at the Vets.
Harrison's, TOPS, Roudybush.
Start with a High Potency Harrison's Mash, add hot water to make it like formula, then he will get used to the taste.

jojomom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
mandy
I feed my grey a homemade chop also. I make a huge batch every month for all my babies and freeze it. My cag is picky about pellets so I rotate different kinds and give her that first thing in the morning when she is hungriest. I completely agree with keeping the diet the same as he is used to it for a while. Slowly transition him to the healthier diet.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I also forgot to mention that one of the more common health problems seen specific to Greys is calcium issues. Be sure to provide extra source of calcium. There are a few options, you can grate a cuttlebone over the food couple times a week, make birdie bread and grind up egg shells in the mix or a trick we use at the shelter is to grind down a fruit flavored tums and sprinkle on food couple times a week.

If your grey is a girl, you can also try to get her into birdie tea, add red raspberry leaf (loose leaf tea, not processed tea bags) to her water or sprinkle a bit on her food. Its the most absorable naturally occurring source of calcium and its exceptionally healthy for female reproductive in birds (all living female creatures actually including women). Red raspberry pulls double duty - calcium your Grey will need and also protects against egg binding and those worries with the girls. You can buy loose tea much cheaper then the cost of the mixes companies are now selling for the bird community.

Beckio

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Becky
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. May I ask what is wrong with Hagen granules? I'll just keep him on that for a week and slowly wean him onto Harrison's probably

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I also forgot to mention that one of the more common health problems seen specific to Greys is calcium issues. Be sure to provide extra source of calcium. There are a few options, you can grate a cuttlebone over the food couple times a week, make birdie bread and grind up egg shells in the mix or a trick we use at the shelter is to grind down a fruit flavored tums and sprinkle on food couple times a week.
it is very true that Grey's are prone to problems relating to calcium.The problem is not always the amount of calcium they get-its the act of processing it in their bodies that can be the problem.Without Vitamin D3 from the sun-or a supplement or a proper UVA/UVB light to much calcium can also be a problem.I have 8 grey's here ranging in age from 7ish to 25-mot have been here all their lives.I have the proper lighting for them,feed them a good diet(no extra calcium)and offer them a well cooked chicken leg once a week.It has been 24 years since My Gemini had a calcium deficient seizure and I have never had any of the others show any symptoms of a calcium (or lack of) Problem. I firmly believe in the proper lighting for all birds-not just grey's
MyStart by IncrediMail.com
MyStart by IncrediMail.com

those links will take You to the info I wanted to share:)
"I hope I have not over stepped My bounds,I just want any Grey owner to know as much as possible about this amazing creature:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My gang eats Hagen Tropican Lifetime Granules. I have tried many others and most of them they won't eat. Itsy, the Meyer's is not as picky and did like Harrison's but the freezer is about 1/3 full of bird food as it is so I'd rather not have too many on the go.