• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight Suit Training

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
The two Avian Fashions Fireworks FlightSuits I ordered awhile ago arrived this Monday. I've introduced Kimi and Teri to the Suits as soon as I opened the bag. It was like they weren't even there, they were walking all over them. As long as the Suit was still and on a flat surface, they wouldn't mind, but as soon as I picked up the Suit or moved it in any way, they'd lunge at it. So I've been working with that(using the instructions that came with the Suits) since Monday and decided to test them out yesterday. They seemed quite used to them by then.
I decided to put the Suit on Teri first, as he is usually less of a scaredy-cat than Kimi. He didn't protest much while I was putting in on him, although I was pretty clumsy. But as soon as I let go of him and reached for a treat, he rolled over and started biting at it. He was constantly chewing on the Suit, even turning his head over 180 degrees to reach the Velcro part. Distracting him was really hard, but not impossible. He'd stop and take a treat every once in a while, he'd fly in the Suit and poop in it. Tho he'd completely ignore everything else. Kimi had nearly the same reaction, tho she was easier to distract. I even took her outside on a leash for a few minutes.

I've put it on them again today. I wanted to see how long it would take for them to stop chewing on the Suit, but the time seemed to drag out and the birds seemed stressed so I took it off and let them roam around. They are pretty frightened of the Suits now, but luckily don't hate me.
I'm gonna try reintroducing it, but more slowly this time.

I've been trying to think about why that is, and maybe you can help me figure it out and abolish it.

Maybe it's just because they're not used to having something on their bodies. Hopefully this can be abolished since they're still young, tho I've heard Quakers are usually bad with this.

They're molting right now, maybe the Suits are irritating them? Should I stop with training and try again when the molt is over?

The instructions said something about spraying Bitter Apple spray on the Suits to deter chewing. I am pretty sure that a special Bitter Apple Spray for birds isn't on the market here, would a similar spray for dogs be safe? Any other bird-safe chew deterrents?

Any other training tips? There must have been somebody with a similar experience.

PLEASE NOTE I am aware that a lot of people have a negative opinion on the FlightSuit. I politely ask of you not to rant about them or suggest I try a different product or method. Heck, if the birds just never like wearing them I will not try to force them to, but I want to know I tried everything I could before giving up.
Also thank you for reading all of this if you did, quite a long post. I tried to make it short, I swear! :bag:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would put it on them treat and take it off! Do that a couple times per day for a while. That may get them used to having it on them but make them realize it's not permanent.

Also before you actually put it on, did you kind of rub them with it and let them sniff it? I do that before actually securing it to their body.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I think you've moved way too quickly. Most of the owners using these suits took days/weeks of getting their birds used to the harnesses. Towards the end of harness training, the birds should be looking forwards to the suits, even to helping you get it on them.

I'd slow down some. First introduce the suits without putting them on, or even too near your birds. Have a way for your birds to view the 'coming out' of the suits as a great thing. Perhaps great treats, or games they like. Something that they can associate as a good thing when they see the suits.

Even if they didn't panic when you put them on, I'm guessing they're frightened and confused about what you've done. They're most likely not looking at the suits with joy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think you've moved way too quickly. Most of the owners using these suits took days/weeks of getting their birds used to the harnesses. Towards the end of harness training, the birds should be looking forwards to the suits, even to helping you get it on them.

I'd slow down some. First introduce the suits without putting them on, or even too near your birds. Have a way for your birds to view the 'coming out' of the suits as a great thing. Perhaps great treats, or games they like. Something that they can associate as a good thing when they see the suits.

Even if they didn't panic when you put them on, I'm guessing they're frightened and confused about what you've done. They're most likely not looking at the suits with joy.
I agree with Macawpower, I've been working on putting a harness on one of my birds for four months! I've finally gotten him to the point where he loves the harness, loves sticking his head in it, but then unfortunately loves taking his head out of it after 5 seconds.:banghead: I admit we are stuck, and hopefully it won't take you as long as it's taken us, but I figure we aren't doing too bad considering this is a bird who is afraid of everything. I think you should just break the entire process down into teeny tiny steps. Don't move on to the next step until they have mastered the previous step. Good luck!:)

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I would put it on them treat and take it off! Do that a couple times per day for a while. That may get them used to having it on them but make them realize it's not permanent.

Also before you actually put it on, did you kind of rub them with it and let them sniff it? I do that before actually securing it to their body.
That's what I've been going for, but they wouldn't stop chewing even if a plate of their favorite treats is right in front of them! Also, yes, I let them touch it and touched them with it.

I probably have. They have been training for 5(and a half) days before I put them on. Training included rewarding when they approached and/or beaked the suit. Later, I would hold some of their favorite treats(sunflower and pumpkin seeds) through the tail opening and they'd put their head into the Suits to get them.. And whenever they weren't training or in their cage the Suits would be in sight. Even more later, I'd pick them up and put them on the Suit, which is the first step of putting them on like you probably already know.
They seemed pretty used to them to me, especially since they'd sometimes come to the suits on their own and expect treats. So, if that isn't a reliable sign, what is? I'm really confused.

I agree with Macawpower, I've been working on putting a harness on one of my birds for four months! I've finally gotten him to the point where he loves the harness, loves sticking his head in it, but then unfortunately loves taking his head out of it after 5 seconds.:banghead: I admit we are stuck, and hopefully it won't take you as long as it's taken us, but I figure we aren't doing too bad considering this is a bird who is afraid of everything. I think you should just break the entire process down into teeny tiny steps. Don't move on to the next step until they have mastered the previous step. Good luck!:)
Whoa, that's quite a long time. But still, after this happened I think I'm cool with training them for so long, or even longer if they need it. Like I wrote earlier in the post, they had no problem with putting their head in the Suits or being touched by them. Now they are pretty scared of them, they won't come near them even when they're stationary.
Baby steps seem like a good idea. I was going for that at first but went wrong somewhere, apparently. And thanks! Good luck with your bird too! :)

---

I've had some ideas on how to resume training.

Whenever I'm busy and can't have the birds walking all over me and the table, we play ''the cooting game''. Teri and I make ''coot'' noises back and forth, and eventually I get up and reward him. Kimi has started joining in recently too. My idea was to attach the Suit to my shirt whenever I come to treat them. In theory, that should make them associate the Suits with treats while still being on a reasonable distance from it.

Another idea was to just let it hang somewhere during training and play time, not too close, not too far. Just so they can get used to it being around before I start training them to touch it again. Making it accessible so I can reward if they come close seems like a good idea to me. Sorta like how they got used to the big scary flat thing that changes color, AKA the computer screen. They aren't afraid of it or aggressive towards it, and are fine with it being there, but they aren't all over it.

Do those sound good to you? You have much more skill with birds than me, after all.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They do sound like good ideas! It probably won't take too long for them to not be afraid of it again. My bird became afraid of his once when he couldn't get his head out fast enough. He was able to get over that after about a week of it just always being around. I also sometimes keep it in my hand when I'm petting him.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It's going quite well for now. I didn't touch the Suits for a few days, but left them where they can see them while playing. They didn't touch them on their own but were fine about being around them. I put one of the Suits on the table where they like to play and put a treat on. Kimi came by and took it. She stepped on the Suit multiple times, each was rewarded. Will try the same thing with Teri today, if he seems scared I'll wait a few more days.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
They are now coming to the suits on their own, and nibbling and playing with them. Still, that's about how ''used to'' the Suits they were before I tried putting them on for the first time. Since that didn't work, what signs do I look for now? How do I know if they're ready?