• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking in a needy Pionus / advice?

belmor

Moving in
We are taking in a blue-head Pionus from a home where she isn't doing well, looking for tips from Pionus owners. We are experienced bird owners and foster for a rescue.

Background: Bird is 8mos old and the owner raised from two weeks old (concerned she may be "too" bonded with the current owner) she does not pluck but over grooms and when the owner leaves the room she slams herself against the cage. She looks pitiful, has bare spots on the top of her wings and has no tail whatsoever so she isn't well balanced. She is on an excellent diet and has had continual vet care. The owner has several hyper and loud dogs that may contribute to her anxiety. The owner has done all she can and is truly heartbroken about having to re-home her. She makes no noise and has never bitten anyone.

My wife works days / I work nights but only 14 days per month so we are home a lot. We have no dogs or cats, one macaw that will be on a different floor of the house. My daughter will be gone for the summer visiting family out of state. I plan on putting the bird in her room where it is quiet and no traffic or chaos and slowly building trust and working on her anxiety. Was thinking about trying Avicalm?

Just looking for Pi related tips that may help with this journey.

~B~

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I have no pi experience but wanted to say thank you for helping this bird. :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They study everything around them and take it all in till they feel safe and know the routine. Lurch has been here over 5 years and really cares for us now but at first he was scared to death and quick to bite seeing how he lost his old man owner and was mad at the world about it.
He took 6 months just to decide to come out of his cage, then a slow, long time to decide he wanted to hang out with me. He started getting closer and closer to me and I let him go at his own pace.
He still has grumpy and homicidal moments but he now knows we respect his warnings so he doesn't try as hard or fast to bite and he gets excited and comes and plops on me and says hi sweetheart and everything else he knows.
Maybe you'll get lucky and she take right to you, maybe you'll have to earn it with time but it will be worth it and you'll have a faithful family member who loves you for the rest of her life.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't think that you need any help at all. You are doing and planning everything right. :)
Perhaps later on you can have your birds in the same room. Her anxiety can be better when she learns from another parrot.

Good luck! :)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've only had my my maxi Pi rescue since February, but his signals are easy to read. Pis need a lot of sleep! I agree that they watch you ALL the time! I find mine to be pretty even keel as far as temperament and he loves laughter :)

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I agree with Eloy. You are setting yourself
up for success. I am wondering if your pi is female.

I adopted a 8 year old pi experiencing some anxiety. Settling in took a while but he still progresses nicely. He came out of his cage right away, but he took his time with observing surroundings and building trust. He barked for 4 months but with positive reinforcement techniques he changed that behavior. He gives lots of signals to help with reading him...including shaking something at me when he doesn't want me to approach. The adoption has been very rewarding

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
I adopted a WCP with a non-functional foot from my vet. Stickley hadn't had much human attention, and when she was with other birds they picked on her. It took a long time to get her to the point where enjoyed my company and enjoyed pets, but it was worth it. She was my sweetest bird -- never bit.

belmor

Moving in
I picked Twinkle up today, she is a DNA sexed female. She has been vetted and is healthy other than a little high cholesterol.

She will immediately step up for anyone and likes being pet on the head. She looks AWFUL, no tail, wing feathers gone. She spooks easily and then tries to fly and winds up falling so we are trying to be really careful with her to prevent injury from falling. She sat on my leg and watched tv for a while this afternoon. I hope that with time in a calm environment her anxiety will get better.

~B~

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I picked Twinkle up today, she is a DNA sexed female. She has been vetted and is healthy other than a little high cholesterol.

She will immediately step up for anyone and likes being pet on the head. She looks AWFUL, no tail, wing feathers gone. She spooks easily and then tries to fly and winds up falling so we are trying to be really careful with her to prevent injury from falling. She sat on my leg and watched tv for a while this afternoon. I hope that with time in a calm environment her anxiety will get better.

~B~
Aww! Poor thing! She sounds very sweet. We needs pics :)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Sounds like she's taken to you already:highfive:
Like said your setting yourself up for success for both of you. Lurch loves knees, so did Nerd so that's a good start and sounds like she already likes people and stepping up so half the battle is already won. Just keep working with her and you'll both be rewarded and happy.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Sounds like a good start. Can you pad the area around her cage and or playstand to help prevent injury?

Lisidou

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Poor sweet thing! I hope she settles in and adjusts soon for you. Pi's are the most incredible birds. Bless you for taking her. I feel sad for them having to give her up but kudos to them for doing the right thing for her!

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Hi

Sounds like you are doing great. I knew she was female from your original description. From descriptions of others it seems female pionus are the best. I got my anxious male pionus 3 foot ladders that go from the cage or play stations to the floor. This cut down on his anxiousness as he can get around on his own and my home is safe for a bird to walk around. He has a deformed wing and doesn't fly much. But give it lots of time. These intelligent birds do lots of observing before fully settling in.

Twinkle is lucky to have you.

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
She may be happier if her cage is in a room where people are around a lot rather than in a bedroom by herself, although Pis seem standoffish they do like to be around the household activity as long as nothing they perceive as a threat

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree with @cetan
Pi's are very social just like all parrots are. Put her cage in a "calm corner" so she can see you. :)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird really blossomed when I moved out and got my own place. Put him in the dining room that could survey everything going on with the family and he really started doing and trying new things.
He loved his lot in life, me, his house, and claimed a lot of the area on the table by his cage. We also got him a play stand he immediately used, and for him that never happened.

belmor

Moving in
It has now been a month, twinkle seems to be settling in well.

We haven't seen much self destructive behavior, she over preens some but still has a LOT of new feathers growing in. I don't know that they will all come back but that is ok.
She loves my wife and prefers her but will go to or take scratches from anyone including our 4 year old. She has not bitten anyone at all.
She is incredibly clumsy, she thinks she can fly but she has no flight feathers so she falls a lot if not closely watched.

~B~

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
She sounds so sweet

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww! I'm happy happy Twinkle is settling in well :)