• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bruised Beak!

Veggielover

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Annie
I allow my cockatiel, Marshy, to be out of his/her cage for most of the day (supervised). He/she loves flying, but he has flown into a wall and developed a nasty bruise on his beak. It started to go away and he bruised it again. I am so worried about him. I am taking him to the vet, but has anyone else had this same issue and how did you solve it?

Thanks,

Annie

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
It is a good idea that you are taking him to the vet. Other then the bruise how is he acting?

Toffee's owner

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vinny
Hopefully and in most cases he (they) will be ok :)
At least your birdie is acting normal.. eating well still I hope?

You say "he/she" .. have you not had your bird long?

As for them crashing into walls, mirrors un-netted windows, yeah its a worry, so much so that Ive had to very lightly re-clip Toffees wings as he just got used to getting air under them and whoosh he was gone.. all round the house :S
Finally stopped when he hit the un-netting lounge window hard and thudded to the floor. Yes I agree, very upsetting.

Veggielover

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Annie
I have had Marshy since August. I think Marshy may be a girl.

I know marshy likes flying around the apartment but I may need to clip her/his wings for safety.

Fortunately, Marshy is eating just fine. :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
can you take a picture of the beak please??

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
I didnt know a beak could be bruised.

Kermit

Real Name
Jacque
@Veggielover on whether marshy is a girl or boy i see your siggy says he/she is a pearl pied Tiel....so since he/she is over 8 months does he/she still have the pearling to the feathers? if Marshy still has the pearling Marshy is a girl....boy Tiels who are pearl lose the pearling at around 6 months old

the whole pearling thing was how i knew my Casper was a girl cause she kept her pearling(and then laid eggs! silly girl)

Veggielover

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Annie
@Kermit I think you are right. Marshy must be a girl. I should start calling her Marsha. :))

Kermit

Real Name
Jacque
aww...what a beautiful Tiel!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Veggielover
Rocky had a bruised beak years ago from slamming into the wall of the shower. that dark discolored area has to grow out on it's own. it will take some time. but it does go away. i fed softer foods for a few days.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Veggielover couple of months, i think. does she seem to be in pain ? if so i would say see a avian vet.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Is that the "same" concept as when we smash a fingernail? Will it grow out of the bruise. I agree, Odin hit a window once, he seemed ok but his beak was bleeding lightly.