• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet puncture wound

Kathrynxoxo

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
Hi everyone,

So, my boyfriend and I just discovered today that my 10 month old parakeet has a puncture wound on her stomach. We discovered this while we were at the vet for a completely unrelated reason. We know that this wound did not come from a dog or cat because we have neither of those animals, nor has she ever been around them. The vet put her on antibiotics to help her sneezing, which he believes is related to the wound. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to keep her wound clean and how to keep her from picking at it?? Thank yall so much in advance for the advice!

Loppy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jen
Bump!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Have you looked at a collar for her? They are similar to the collars that are put on dogs after surgery.

Matt

Kathrynxoxo

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
Thanks yall! The vet suggested hydrogen peroxide, but I have read on here that it is not good for birds' skin, and no I have not heard of those collars, but I will keep my eyes open for them!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
not so sure about your vet - are they an avian vet?
I've read that in humans peroxide actually makes healing take longer.
you can make your own collar with fleece, there are some examples somewhere here.
Or - I think it could be possible to make a "vest" with some cutouts for head and wings on a sock, I've seen pics of that too.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
peroxide is only useful for the initial cleaning of the wound, any use after that actually kills the new cells forming

Kathrynxoxo

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
not so sure about your vet - are they an avian vet?
I've read that in humans peroxide actually makes healing take longer.
you can make your own collar with fleece, there are some examples somewhere here.
Or - I think it could be possible to make a "vest" with some cutouts for head and wings on a sock, I've seen pics of that too.
Yes! He is an avian vet, however he is not our normal avian vet. Thank you for this information! I will have to try this because I feel like her picking at it is making it worse!

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
First of all, welcome to AA! :)

Second of all, I would suggest getting a second opinion from your normal Avian Vet, they might be able to help more. Could you perhaps upload a picture of it?

Also, from your profil picture your parakeet looks a lot like my Glacier, little blue shorts and all! :lol:

Kathrynxoxo

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
First of all, welcome to AA! :)

Second of all, I would suggest getting a second opinion from your normal Avian Vet, they might be able to help more. Could you perhaps upload a picture of it?

Also, from your profil picture your parakeet looks a lot like my Glacier, little blue shorts and all! :lol:
Thank you! I will try to get a second opinion from my normal vet also! And yes I will try to upload a picture, but she hates when I look at it, and I feel so bad because I know it hurts her when I look.

Our parakeets do look similar! That's funny! Lol. Yours is very cute!

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Thank you! I will try to get a second opinion from my normal vet also! And yes I will try to upload a picture, but she hates when I look at it, and I feel so bad because I know it hurts her when I look.

Our parakeets do look similar! That's funny! Lol. Yours is very cute!
Thank you! What is your little budgie's name? :)

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Her name is Liara.. It's a weird name haha, but Glacier is such a cute for a parakeet with the colors ours has!
Liara is adorable! It's almost my name, Liana! XD Have you gone to the other AV yet? Also, it might be good to make a proper introduction thread in the Welcome Lane part of the forum. :)

Kathrynxoxo

Moving in
Real Name
Kathryn
Liara is adorable! It's almost my name, Liana! XD Have you gone to the other AV yet? Also, it might be good to make a proper introduction thread in the Welcome Lane part of the forum. :)
Aw thank you so much! And no they are closed for Memorial Day here :/ and I will do that! Thank you so much!

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Any updates on Liara? It's been a while, just wondering how she is doing. :)