• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure

jessicabrittany

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jessica
Hello!
This past weekend, my fiance and I adopted a pineapple green cheek conure. We named her Mango. We are trying our best to make her as comfortable and secure as possible. We put her cage in a room that isn't too busy, but not secluded either. We cover 3 sides of her cage so she doesn't feel like she needs to be on the look out constantly. When we achieve getting her out of her cage, which is no small feat, she seems to enjoy us. However, getting her out of her cage is such a struggle. She freaks out and the pet store told us to just grab her and make her come out, but that seems mean. We just leave the doors open until she comes out on her own. When she is in her cage, she is scared of everything. Is there a way I can try to show her that she is safe outside her cage as well? She seems to like us, and when she sees us sitting in the room her cage is in, she runs her beak across the bars and screeches at us to let her out.

Thank you!

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome!

Those pet store people are out of their minds. You are doing the exact right thing by letting her come out on her own. Birds are prey animals, so they have to be very careful when they are put in new situations and it can take a while for them to become fully comfortable. I wouldn't cover her cage, though. As long as she has a wall or two behind her that should be enough to make her feel safe.

Just interact with her calmly and don't force hands-on interaction before she's ready for it. Offer her treats, open the door but let her stay inside if she wants, sit next to the cage and read to her, sing to her, just basically show her that you are friendly and a source of good things. A week is nothing in a bird's mind - to her you are still brand new and she's still figuring you out. Don't worry, she'll be all over you before you know it.

Also,
:needpics:

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Hang in there. it sounds like you are doing everything right. She's already coming around. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran