• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Planting a garden for your birds

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
the several days have worked to get 7 pots on my deck ready for garden for Sweet Pea. 6 of the pots will be for little one, peas and carrots, wheat grass, leaf lettuce, basil, and parsley if i can find a plant priced reasonably.
if you plant a garden for your bird buddies, what do you plant and why? is it in the ground or in pots like i'm doing ?

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I'm going to attempt to grow some dandelions in a medium size hanging planter, I want to be able to take the planter in the house every evening so I don't have raccoon cat skunk and ratty rodents doing their biznizz on the weeds or have the critters knocking the hanger over and destroying it.

I've had friends try to grow dandelions in their homes and said it was a fail each time they attempted this.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I live at 7500 ft elevation so my growing season is short. I love to garden.
I have 3 small raised beds surrounded by a tall fence where I grow 14 kinds of lettuce, 4 kinds of kale, 2 kinds spinach, 4 kinds carrots, 3 kinds green beans, beets and strawberries.
On my deck I am doing peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs, edible flowers. These are in large planters on wheels and I roll them under the roof when it hails and into the birds' aviary when they are close to ripe so other animals don't eat.
I have learned I can grow squash on a hillside with no protection as the deer and elk etc won't touch it, prickly I guess!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
what do you plant and why? is it in the ground or in pots like i'm doing ?
All things that we both eat, but most herbs, spinach, salad and carrots. I do it because I like it, and that it is 100% organic. I plant in the ground, in bigger propagators? and in pots.
In the winter I have herbs and pea shoots indoors, it worked really well. And pea shoots are so yummy! You most try that! :)

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Gardening looks like so much fun! I imagine if I had my own backyard and not just the rental, I'd fill it with all different types of leafy greens and things I'd want to eat.

I usually just share what I have with my guys, so they get to eat whatever I'm craving (as long as it's safe).

If I make some salsa, then the birds get cilantro, if I have some fruit, they get some too, if I'm having a salad, well then it's leafy greens night.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I bought organic dandelion seeds and they grew so large and pretty. It was so worth it.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a vegetable garden; for the most part I just grow what I want and the birds share. The main exception is hot peppers (the little really hot ones - there are many varieties). If it was just for my own use, I would grow only one plant, but I usually grow 3-4 of them so the birds can enjoy fresh hot peppers. Plus depending on variety, the plants can be very compact and ornamental, they can go right in a flower garden if you don't have a vegetable garden. Also, they do quite well as houseplants and many years I will dig up my favorite and bring it in for the winter, they will live for years this way.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
wheat grass is up about 1/8" and looks good

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Congrats on the wheatgrass. Isn't it fun watching plants shooting up?

I have a few things growing for the birds and us. I have a pot of millet too, it was started by my boyfriend being to lazy to empty the food scraps into the compost bin; he chucked some left over seed into a pot which had a half dead blueberry plant in it. The blueberry died of me forgetting to water it, but we have had a couple seasons of millet.
Sapphire loves okra, so I planted that for her. My poor boyfriend has never even tasted okra because the birds get it all.

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
I have three large tubs (the kinda things you use as kiddie-sandboxes) near the driveway, and this year dad let me plan out the garden! I planted Swiss Chard and Bok Choy, as well as Beets and Fennel for the birds. Tomatoes just sprout up for no reason, as well as squash plants. I'm so excited to harvest! (Even though I know it's a long way off! XD)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
here is the start to the birdy garden:
pool and garden 003.JPG
peas & carrots (and my cruddy shoes)
[if you look very carefully at bottom side the carrots are tiny green sprouts]

pool and garden 004.JPG
wheat grass

pool and garden 005.JPG
more peas & carrots
i planted parsley today.

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
The book Chou, beets, and fennel are growing well, I gave the birds some two days ago and they loved it! :) The Swiss chard is a little late but it is sprouting. I also bought a special GLACIER tomato plant at the farmers market and planted it! :D