• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent White ring neck dove SEVERE feather loss head

Kiddsgirl

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello. Desperately seeking insight to this horrific problem with our sick dove. Live in Florida. Received 2 white ringneck doves over a year ago. Housed in aviary and coop, with chickens and 4 breeding pigeons. Large coop and under roof area 20 ft x 15 ft and very large enclosed and secured out door aviary / run 30 ft by 30 ft. Left for graduation in NE for a week, returned to the doves sick and one looking so bad my heart sank. Balding head, reddish pink skin, shoulders dirty. Oily from head rubbing- eye rub. Is this a fungus? Mites? Treated immediately for mites since I had product on hand. Seemed to get worse. Head shaking also. Please advise. I will try to attach photos.
Thank you in advance for any insight. image.jpg

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It definitely looks like an infection of some type going on. I would vet them asap.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have never seen anything like that, looks sore,,,hope you get it figured out.:hug8:

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would definitely take her to the vet ASAP.

Novembergypsy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bethany
Have you tried a vet? It definately looks like an infection, possibly from the chickens she's kept with. Have you checked her aviary mates for any sign of problems?

meandmyfids

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
jay
Looks like she is being picked on also

Novembergypsy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bethany
I think many birds will pick on a flock mate who is injured. It may seem cruel, but keep in mind that in the world of wild bird flocks, an injured flock mate can draw predators and disease. Chickens, for example, are irresistibly drawn to blood. They'll even peck themselves if they see it on themselves. It's just their nature. Could you cage her seperately while you are waiting to get into the vet?

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Update? I hope it is okay. :(

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Are you sure the other dove isn't picking at her.
Doves seem very gentle and docile but can actually be quite nasty to each other at times when one can't get away from the other... their normal reaction would be for the one being picked on to fly away, when that option isn't available, they seem to have no concept of defending themselves.