• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing baby parrot to cat?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I have nine cats and seventeen birds. I learned early and catastrophically not to allow birds and cats in the same room. I was stupid when I first got birds. The birds paid for my leaning. I have a birdroom. No other animals permitted in the room with the birds, ever. This even applies to some so-called "humans".

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Good luck and keep up those cuddles! I miss them so much. I am not sure if my babies will be cuddly but am starting to suspect Timmy might. Oliveris beautiful I hope he's settling in nicely it sure sounds like it!:hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
One thing I agree with: The bird eventually has to be introduced to the cat and shown and told the cat is not a friend. However, I always waited until the bird was full grown and adult (after their first hormone storm). Then I would allow the bird to see the cat and then say, "No, no, no!" and remove the bird from the cat's location. An Eclectus is intelligent enough to be told the cat is dangerous and to always fly away.

The problem with introductions as a baby bird, the baby is not as threat conscious as an adult bird, and may see the cat as part of the flock, and, therefore, safe. After sexual adulthood, most adult birds are instinctually more aware of threat situations (in my opinion), or more suspicious of new things, I guess.

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
One thing I agree with: The bird eventually has to be introduced to the cat and shown and told the cat is not a friend. However, I always waited until the bird was full grown and adult (after their first hormone storm). Then I would allow the bird to see the cat and then say, "No, no, no!" and remove the bird from the cat's location. An Eclectus is intelligent enough to be told the cat is dangerous and to always fly away.

The problem with introductions as a baby bird, the baby is not as threat conscious as an adult bird, and may see the cat as part of the flock, and, therefore, safe. After sexual adulthood, most adult birds are instinctually more aware of threat situations (in my opinion), or more suspicious of new things, I guess.
I think Oliver is well aware as the first time he saw the cat when he was on the coffee table he flew straight at my head, another time I had him on my shoulder and he spotted the cat in my roommate's arm and bit my ear really strongly. I'm sure he tried to tell me that he was scared without making a noise as not to be spotted by the cat, he never bits. They will stay separated and as I move out in July there's no need to wait for his adulthood

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
Why is this still a question? As a parrot owner, I respect your right to do what you feel is appropriate. However, cats and birds do not cohabitatie well, JMO. I have 1 generation removed, feral rescue cats in my home. The prey instinct is not very far removed.I have come to the conclusion that you cannot take that prey drive out of cats, given my observation of our cats when they think they can get into the bird area. If/ when there is an incident regarding the cat and your bird....please make sure that you identify that post as potentially disturbing ...you have been given lots of info regarding this...and I don't want to read about another bird being injured or killed due to owners feeling they know how to protect their birds.
Maybe I am a wuss...but I shed tears over every bird death due to owners who think they can control everything and their bird is injured or killed. Please take heed of the experienced bird owners who have been there...JMO. This is not directly aimed at you...but take the advice you are given regarding any contact between cats and birds as being a safety issue. I don't want you to experience such a loss. Again, JMO.

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
Why is this still a question? As a parrot owner, I respect your right to do what you feel is appropriate. However, cats and birds do not cohabitatie well, JMO. I have 1 generation removed, feral rescue cats in my home. The prey instinct is not very far removed.I have come to the conclusion that you cannot take that prey drive out of cats, given my observation of our cats when they think they can get into the bird area. If/ when there is an incident regarding the cat and your bird....please make sure that you identify that post as potentially disturbing ...you have been given lots of info regarding this...and I don't want to read about another bird being injured or killed due to owners feeling they know how to protect their birds.
Maybe I am a wuss...but I shed tears over every bird death due to owners who think they can control everything and their bird is injured or killed. Please take heed of the experienced bird owners who have been there...JMO. This is not directly aimed at you...but take the advice you are given regarding any contact between cats and birds as being a safety issue. I don't want you to experience such a loss. Again, JMO.
I already said many times now that I was gonna keep them separate at all time yet people keep coming and telling me to listen the advice. I am, please read my response before posting. I know it's good intention, but I've already said that I was gonna keep them separate on page 1.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
But you are not keeping them separate? You plan on keeping your bird on your shoulder when in the cat's presence?if I misread this, my apologies. Just don't want to hear about another mishap...that's all.

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
No that was on the first day, Oliver was wrapped in a towel near my neck and the cat was around but my roommate was close by in case of; that's what I wrote in the initial post. Since then they haven't stayed in the same room and won't.

RebelAngel

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Debbie
20plus years ago I had a lovebird and a young cat who got along great together. I had the bird a few years before the cat. The lovebird had a perch in the kitchen and would fly down to the cats water bowl and bathe in it every time the cat was at her bowl. The cat would sleep on the back of the couch and the bird would be found frequently nuzzled up to her. They would play together with the cats ball toys with the bell in it.

Unfortunately, the cat disappeared one day when she got outside. So that was the end of their relationship.

Fortunately for me and the bird, we never got to find out what the cat would think of the bird once she reached adulthood. Freebird lived for many more years before dying in his sleep.

Had they not gotten along so well, I probably wouldnt have had the cat for the year that I did as Freebird had no cage and lived on multiple perches and people in the house.

Thats my experience with a bird and cat together.

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
Happy to hear than other relationship are possible. I agree that it's a risk to take and especially with small bird. I wouldn't risk it as the cat is already adult and looks like she had high prey instinct, but it's a really nice story

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
Good for you
20plus years ago I had a lovebird and a young cat who got along great together. I had the bird a few years before the cat. The lovebird had a perch in the kitchen and would fly down to the cats water bowl and bathe in it every time the cat was at her bowl. The cat would sleep on the back of the couch and the bird would be found frequently nuzzled up to her. They would play together with the cats ball toys with the bell in it.

Unfortunately, the cat disappeared one day when she got outside. So that was the end of their relationship.

Fortunately for me and the bird, we never got to find out what the cat would think of the bird once she reached adulthood. Freebird lived for many more years before dying in his sleep.

Had they not gotten along so well, I probably wouldnt have had the cat for the year that I did as Freebird had no cage and lived on multiple perches and people in the house.

Thats my experience with a bird and cat together.
that is very interesting your lovebird was able to bathe in the bowl your cat drank out of without perishing! Maybe some birds are less susceptible to cat bacteria. either way, wouldn't chance it.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I had a 7 yr old cat when I got my first bird, my GCC. I 'introduced' them by holding the cat securely (including his paws) and allowing my GCC to gently nip him on the nose (which she was more than happy to do). With a larger bird like an Eclectus, you would need to be more careful to prevent injury to the cat of course. As long as he shows no fear of the cat (and if he has had no negative experiences with cats, he won't be afraid), you can simply hold the cat near him. It really does help for the cat to realize that the bird is not afraid. If they don't behave like prey, cats don't see them as prey. Instead of keeping them totally separate, I would try to give the cat a chance to satisfy her curiosity, with close supervision and no actual contact. Because, at some point, someone will open a door or make a mistake, and a cat that has had a chance to realize the bird isn't dinner will be much less dangerous.
I would not encourage them to be friends, though. And I would be very careful about them together. Even if the cat doesn't normally see the bird as prey, a clipped bird fluttering to the floor can potentially still trigger predatory instincts in some cats. Most cats will probably simply be scared of a bird as large as an Eclectus, but since cat saliva can be dangerous, you do need to be careful.
I will say that my cat and birds coexisted mostly peacefully for 12 years until the cat passed away. Although I tried to keep them separated when I wasn't around, there was more than one occasion where I thought I was locking the birds in their room away from the cat, only to find that the cat must have been hiding and I had actually locked him in the room with the birds. Luckily he knew the birds were family and the birds were not afraid of him, and I would come home only to find a sleeping cat and safe, content birds. (What little trouble I had with them involved the birds chasing the cat, not the other way round. That started after my GCC figured out that the best way for her to get me to come running and pick her up, was for her to chase the cat, she had nothing against the cat himself.)