• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finches

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I know next to nothing about Finches but am curious. Not planning on having any. Just looking at all the species. Some are totally beautiful. This site puts them in catagories according to personality. Finch Species Profiles If you have finches which ones and how are they to take care of in general? If you could have any species you wanted which one would it be?

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
Few months old thread but I have a pure white crested bengalese finch who has bonded with a canary, and although I love him very dearly anyone thinking of getting finch should really be made aware that they love to try and escape, heavens to Betsy do they love it. You must have a cage with the feeders on the inside or if they are on the outside then they should be swivel or lockable because that's your finches target exit point. Best thing I bought for my finch was a fishing net.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Figured I'd reply too.

I mainly keep European Goldfinches, but I do have a pair of canaries that are lovely. I keep them in flight cages that are divided when it's not breeding season and keep each gender separate. They're relatively easy to care for. They don't need many toys and the few that they have will last a longgggg time because their beaks aren't capable of real destruction. I give them a variety of fresh greens several days a week, but the rest of the time their main diet is seed. The goldfinches require a seed mix higher in fat, so I buy different types of mixes depending on the species. Finches eat mainly grains in the wild. Some owners like to buy or grow meal worms to feed their birds live food. They're relatively easy to care for when compared to parrots. It's so much fun to watch them interact with each other, like a tiny community of people.

I really don't wish for any other species than the ones I have. There are some gorgeous species out there though.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am glad you are finch happy.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I think I would go for the Gouldians.

Sometimes I think how wonderful it would be to sit out on ma porch wit ma whiskey in them thar fine evenings and hear the little finckes cheep cheep quietly and relaxingly as they hop quietly about, NOT tearing chunks out of the walls, or eating paint when my back is turned, or ripping holes in my clothes when i go in there.......

I am usually woken from this beautiful daydream by a mad screaming fit from the caiques in the aviary. Ho-Hum, put down the whiskey bottle, go back and feed the little monsters.....lol