• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(NEEDED) Summer Caretaker for the birds

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I will be traveling back to Albania this June (no earlier than June 15th) for at least a month and since it's a country that's listed as a high potential for the avian flu, I cannot bring my birds back if I were to take them with me (especially my 5 goldfinches; Albania has its own set of laws concerning its native birds and I wouldn't be able to prove that they're the same birds I brought with me). This means that I need someone to care for my birds. My relatives here in the U.S are *horrible* animal caretakers and I'm sure that I'd come back to find dead birds, so that option is out. I'd like to find someone to care for my 7 birds for about a month.

I have:
5 European Goldfinches (3 females, 2 males)
2 canaries (1 male, 1 female)

The goldfinches are such fun to watch. It's like watching a tiny community of tiny chickens. Even though they all look EXACTLY the same, I can tell you who's who just by their personalities. My canaries are similar and have their own little gossip to follow. Drin (the male) sings like a champion. My goldfinch males sing beautiful, silvery, wild bird songs. No screeching parrot noises over here. :D

I'm willing to cover any and all costs (food, vet care, etc.) needed for their care, including an additional amount just for giving up your time and space for my birds. They come with their own cages. All birds are perfectly healthy and are fed a seed diet in addition to their normal variety of greens. I understand that most AA members are parrot owners and don't have much experience with finches, so if you have any trouble or questions I'll be just a phone call away. I also have a mountain of resources for novices to look at.

Heads up: I'm requiring that a contract be signed (stating that I own full rights, I get my birds back, that you may not breed them, sell them, etc.). I'm very cautious about handing my birds to a stranger.

I live in MD, but am willing to drive a distance if needed to drop my birds off at a good caretaker. If I don't find anyone suitable, I'll find some other solution. Worst case scenario is that they get boarded or stay at a friend's house... Even though I'd highly prefer a bird-person.

Thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Bump.

I hope you can find someone.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
After reading post issues with caretakers.....good thought to do the contract.

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Bump!

:( I hope you find someone who can take care of them.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I would really love to help you out, but i am in TN and that is qite a distance from you.
Hopefully you will find someone!

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I'm in Maryland... How many cages are there? I'm not sure I would have the room...

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
I'm in NJ and do bird sitting in my home. How many cages do you have? You can PM me here if you want

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I'm in NJ and do bird sitting in my home. How many cages do you have? You can PM me here if you want

I'm in Maryland... How many cages are there? I'm not sure I would have the room...

I have 2 cages at the moment. One is the F040 prevue flight, and the other one looks like this:
Amazon.com : Petco Designer White Finch Flight Cage : Bird Cages : Pet Supplies

They stack right on top of each other. I may wish to separate genders while I'm away, so I might split the flight into two sections and put males in one half and females on the other, which would make it just one cage to care for. I'd happily supply you with extra cages that you can fold and store away in case any birds begin to seriously fight and you need to separate the aggressor.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Well if you start to get close and desperate or want to talk.. I'm in finksburg md, not sure how that relates to you. Not sure I can really help. Hopefully someone else can. :)

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Have you figured out what was going on here? (HELP) Something is killing my birds | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum I think it is important that any medical issues that may be present in your flock be addressed before someone agrees to take them into their home. If you have a satisfactory answer then maybe let everyone know that's it not a concern anymore.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Oh My. I missed that thread about the problem and I did offer assistance. Thank you for the reminder post since I have a canary,2 teils and a C2. Even though I do bird sitting in my home a non-negotiable requirement is a recent vet check