• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calls

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Is it possible that Ollie (a GCC) and my budgies have created their own contact calls? I hear Ollie make this noise that he hasn't made before (slightly dolphin like) and then it sounds like one of the boys responds with a similar call. I'm very uneducated when it comes to communication between parrots so I was just wondering if maybe one was mimicking the other or if they were communicating in their own way :D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's quite possible they are communicating, or at least trying to figure out how to communicate. Birds are flock creatures, after all, and Ollie, not having any others like him to talk to, may be trying to communicate with the budgies. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yak yak yak. That's all they do. :D

You betcha they're communicating. Crudely right now but it will get better.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
It's quite possible they are communicating, or at least trying to figure out how to communicate. Birds are flock creatures, after all, and Ollie, not having any others like him to talk to, may be trying to communicate with the budgies. :)

Yak yak yak. That's all they do. :D

You betcha they're communicating. Crudely right now but it will get better.

Cool guys thanks :)
We put their cages next to each other sometimes so they get used to each other and they just squawk squawk squawk :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Cool guys thanks :)
We put their cages next to each other sometimes so they get used to each other and they just squawk squawk squawk :D

I was wrong. Squawk squawk squawk is all they do. :lol:

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Usually my husband and I say "Hey Bender" or "Mr. Bender" to Bender, so those have become his contact calls. Sounds like your GCC has done that with your budgies!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I say good morning Grumpy boy to Lurch, and also call him MR Lurch. He calls Babeep and hi sweet heart, hi baby boy etc etc when he gets excited after not seeing me for a while but no other birds for him to contact call to here.
Nerd used to have a wicked BAAAWEEEEP!!! flock call he'd really belt out, plus his version of what he called me, which was kinda babeep, sorta like Terry we figured, I sure miss him. He was a Maxi just like Lurch but he was wild caught so he knew all the wild Pionus flock calls and noises, Lurch doesn't but he gets close sometimes seeing how it's somewhat built in.

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
My tiel is in love with my male ekkie. He chatters at my ekkie all the time...Ekkie just watched, lol.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
My tiel is the same way, he chatters away to Sherbert the lovie, and she ignores him... poor guy.

RosieBird

We have a lot of wild birds that come into our house and our M2 talks to them sometimes and can imitate them when she feels like it. She says hello to the dogs, cat calls my husband and calls me Boo. She hollers Hello to any guests and demands to be seen by anyone that rings the doorbell.

I even caught her talking to some swiffer refills one day :lol: They are fuzzy but they are not an animal Rosie :hehe:

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
[QUOTE="

I even caught her talking to some swiffer refills one day :lol: They are fuzzy but they are not an animal Rosie :hehe:[/QUOTE]

:joyful:I spit out my coffee!!!