• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Question about beaks

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I know this is probably a dumb question but I have searched and have been unable to find the answer. Does my birds beak look normal? I noticed his beak doesn't close all the way like it did when he was a baby, is this normal? Do I need to get his beak trimmed? Also why is his beak a bit flakey? I read it could be a vitamin A deficiency so I am going to try to give him more fruits and vegetables high in vitamin A.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Hi Jessica,

I am no expert on birds but it look normal to me and the beak does grow and they grind their beak and a little flaking seems normal. Hopefully experts with hop on soon.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Beak flaking is a normal part of a growing beak.

A beak grows in length very slowly and rarely needs shortening unless there is a deviation in the way the top and bottom meet, causing a failure of the two to keep each other worn. There are several causes for this to happen, including malformation during development, injury, invasion by infectious agents, like bacteria, fungi, parasites (knemidocoptes mites), or a virus known as psittacine beak and feather disease virus (PBFD). Another reason for overlength beaks is in the case of chronic liver disease. Otherwise, shortening the beak should never be necessary.

The beak also grows in layers outward. These outer layers should normally be kept worn down as the bird rubs its beak on hard, abrasive materials. It is instinct to rub the beak on things in general, but it is learned from other flock members WHAT to rub it on to keep these layers worn. Many domestic parrots end up with these layers building up due to a lack of proper wear. They rub their beak on the perch or the food dish, their owner, etc., but sometimes the surfaces they rub on simply are not abrasive enough to wear the layers down. They tend to develop a “ledge” of outer layer that runs about 2/3 the way down from the cere to the tip. It represents a natural interface where the new lengthening growth seems to come from under these layers. A "polly perch", or similar perch made of an abrasive material like cement often provides a surface suitable for the bird to groom the beak on, but the placement of the perch is important. If you notice the bird rubbing on a certain perch after eating, for example, simply replace that perch with the cement one.

If this “ledge” develops, it can often be “picked” off with a fingernail, if the bird is willing to let you or if you can restrain its head. If it is very thick and is not worn down, it may begin to cause a deviation in the direction and curvature of the lengthening growth of the tip. If it does get thick, then a nail file, or a Dremel grinder may be used to smooth it down. If a Dremel or an electric rotary nail file is used, care must be taken not to keep the grindstone in one place too long, as this can heat up the beak too much and cause damage to the growth-producing layer beneath.

Your birds lower beak may be "slightly" overgrown but it looks pretty normal to me. A parrot does not need to close its beak in order to close its mouth/throat (to swallow for instance) The way the tongue is formed inside the mouth allows them to close the throat with their tongue.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The beak is normal, needs a little trimming, Valentine rarely closes her beak completely, just rolls that tongue around the inside of her beak :cool:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, I think the lower beak is slightly overgrown too. Other than that, it's fine. Maybe a little beak trim?

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
One of mine had a beak trim years ago, my U2 and it was very slight. When I'm reading about our parrots I've never come across much info on beaks either but i did get a crash course on them when my largest mac wedged half of a mac nut onto his lower beak, then proceeded to bang it (hard) 0n the bars to push it down even further. I quickly called the vet and the receptionist was full of info, "OH NO, Hon this is a very dangerous situation, his beak could be broken and removing the nut could make him bleed to death, they are full of nerve endings and blood vessels". Now, when can you be here?" Hmmm, busy tourist island, boats crowded, lines to get cars across, macaw getting VERY FRUSTRATED with the nut on his lower beak now, so I estimated about 1 1/2 hours, "Never mind dear you won't make it in time, watch for blood and call back soon the doctor is with a patient.

AAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!

Calm before this call but not afterwards but soon the doctor and I spoke and he assured me that his beak wasn't cracked because I would have seen blood dripping down by now. He said to get a good grip pair of plyiers, steady myself and pull it straight off. I did it and the nut flew across the room and dented the wall. Whew, I was happy.

And with hormone season on us I've been rubbing their beaks and they all seem to love it. And the vet did tell me it wasn't at all common for any bird to get a large nut so stuck that it required pliers to remove it.

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Ok I am glad to hear that it is normal! I worry about everything it seems. I also keep reading mixed reviews on beak trimming. Some people say to get it down and others say you should never trim their beak. Is there something I can give him so that he can grind down his beak naturally? He eats plenty of nuts and chews on wood toys in his cage constantly.