• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advise

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Example: When I was looking to adopt a macaw, I spoke to a man who was trying to rehome a 10 year old male. The bird had been fed a diet of exclusively low quality pellets and peanuts his entire life. No fresh foods. No other nuts. The bird himself was very sweet. But, based on the info the man gave me about his diet, I decided against adopting that bird. I figured it was likely that he would have significant health issues from being fed so poorly for so long, and i didn't want to take that on.

There are a lot of factors to consider when trying to decide if a particular bird would be a good fit in your home. Does the bird like kids? Does it hate men? Is it aggressive to other birds? And on and on and on. If it's going to be a good match- for the people AND the bird- you have to "fit" with one another. When anyone is considering adopting a bird, there's a large amount of trust you have to place in the previous owners that what they're telling you about the bird's history is true so you can make an informed decision about if the bird is right for you.

My point in all this long winded-ness, is that if these people are lying about parts of this bird's story, they may be lying about other parts too. So be cautious. He might actually not be as good of a fit as he seems to be at first blush.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You have received a plethora of advice - maybe too much. One can always over-analyze (analysis paralysis) a decision.

Like Dr. House says, "Everyone lies". And these people have most likely lied about the bird in one way or another - everyone lies.

If you want the bird, take the bird. In my estimation it is not a young bird or a baby, it is a fully mature macaw - my very favorites. Ask the questions that are most important to you and be skeptical about the answers. No matter what you are told you will get some surprises. Some will be good surprises and others won't be good surprises.

You said she stole your heart, didn't you?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I like this about rehomed/rescued birds. Mainly because it is very true.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think it matters because deciding if "the bird is right" is going to be based on information they give you about the bird. That's exactly why it's a fantastic idea to ask all of the million questions you posted in your list further up thread. And if they're lying about something as basic as the origin of the bird, there's a good chance they're lying about the answers to other questions you've asked too.

There's also the ethical decision to consider. I know that you're a person who believes strongly in adoption. What if you adopted a bird who you thought was in need of a good home, and then later discovered that you had been lied to, that you didn't actually adopt him at all- you had bought him from a breeder, and contributed to that cycle. I think most people would be really upset about that.

I guess that is where I am different.

I am a person that strongly believes in adoption and any bird that is in need of a home deserves a home. Sometimes people lie, sometimes the bird acts completely different when in a new home. Ask all the questions you want to be safe but if the "perfect" bird has to meet all your correct answers to be a good fit.... your in trouble. You have to bend your life around macaws. Not one of my rehomes has ever remained what the previous owner told me about them. That says a lot as three of my birds came from someone that knows more about macaws than I think I do.

Health issues are a toss of the coin. You don't know until you know. The healthiest vet maintained birds can have something, my been through everything and back birds seem to have a better immune system. IMO

Horse Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
Thank you guys for all the posts!
I was the one that wanted to meet in a public place since she was on craiglist and since she was a hour away from me. The lady said she was hatched the last week of June 2014 . She has clipped Layla wings a little bit and she took her out the car and was holding her with out no harness on. She bought her from a breeder out in the mid west she said and the reason she is giving her up is that she is having medical problems.

Horse Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
The plan right now is for me to go and buy her this upcoming weekend .I'm not sure what day yet, she want me to call mid week so we can plan what day to go up there. I've already went ahead and bought the new cage for her so hopefully she want have to be the cage she's coming in to long.

Horse Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
She coming home tomorrow :dance4:.

Her new cage came on wednesday and that cage is so heavy. It's all up but I still need to screw in the bowls to the feeding doors. So should I put her in the new cage after I get her home are let her be in the old cage for awhile? My other question is this pellet food that she own good or bad it is Bountiful Harvest Blend from mysafebirdstore ? The other pellet she is on the fruit blend that you can get at pet stores.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
SmilesCongrats.gif

Keep her going on the food she has been eating and if you want to change it do it gradually. Wait a bit though so you know her personality good enough to know if she is not eating well.

The cages... she how she does, if she is doing well use the new one. :)

Horse Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
So I went to the place where the lady want to met me and she never showed up. I waited for 40 minutes and I called her twice and sent her a text message she never respond back to me, so I left the place and went home.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
So I went to the place where the lady want to met me and she never showed up. I waited for 40 minutes and I called her twice and sent her a text message she never respond back to me, so I left the place and went home.
What??? Oh my, that is outrageous. :angry:
I'm so sorry Hon. She could have at least been courteous enough to call you.
:sadhug2:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
That is just poopy of her to treat you like that. :sad8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Thats absolutely terrible!! Sounds like this was a SCAM all along!!

Horse Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
Yes it could have been a scam all long and she did pick the time for us to meet up.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry you had to go through all that. Some people are just low.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
How weird! :( Have you still heard nothing from her?