• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Young Living Essential Oils and Do Terra safety?

Katarina

Moving in
Real Name
Bird Goddess
Hi guys, I decided to post this because in the last month I have done numerous research on essential oils and my mother is a professional with Aromatherapy , she suggested I should not use oils which are not certified organic. I read the book Aromatherapy for parrots and it was not that good, honestly after many books I read on Aromatherapy, it was cheap and it was basically paid by Young Living Essential Oils. Although I did find some of it useful, such as not to use any low grade oil around birds, which makes sense, the rest was kind of not that great. I decided to go for do Terra but then after I made my order I canceled it after I did more research finding that do Terra like Young Living Essential Oils is not organic at all. Also Do Terra claims that they have their own standard for being therapeutic so this means nothing. Those oils are probably ok, but the fact that they are not organic and they make up their own standards with the little R mark , its A LOT of marketing and I think personally , no one should use non organic oils around birds, because of pesticides. I found another brand which is not distiled in an industrial way, its all on their website, it has both non organic and organic pure oils , so I obviously took the organic oil and they guarantee no additive, chemicals , alcohol or anything but pure oils . I am sure there is some other companies like that. I think people should go organic because Young Living EO and do Terra are great marketers and I do not trust anyone who makes up their own standards which are not even approved with the governmental bodies on their qualities!!

Katarina

Moving in
Real Name
Bird Goddess
Here is also an FDA warning for the non sense they promote!! I would no trust them at all!!
They are under criminal investigation for many of their false claims!
Young Living 9/22/14

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have never purchased or used essential oils before. What brand are you promoting as better?

Katarina

Moving in
Real Name
Bird Goddess
I am not promoting a brand, I made my own personal choice to use another brand, since I am not paid by any company I will not advertise them, but I can suggest find certified organic oils which are not distilled in an industrial way, high grade or some say they are therapeutic , and guarantee no additives or chemicals and do not use tea tree around birds at all. You have to do your own research and find the best one for you. They have to be pure certified organic and no additives or chemicals at all, not even in the process of making them. Thats all I can say!!

Katarina

Moving in
Real Name
Bird Goddess
I also want to mention, do not put any of them on your bird if you do not know what you are doing, it can be dangerous to them, I only diffuse them in an sonic cold water diffuser, I do not use them topically on my birds, because I think they may be too strong. Just be careful if you want to try this kind of treatments. Better be safe then sorry!!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
and who is certifying these companies as organic if they are not covered or registering with the FDA?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I happen to work in the food industry for a company that produces both certified organic products and dietary supplements. I thoroughly understand what it is to be certified organic because we just went through our recertification audit last thursday and I was a part of it as the buyer. We have to prove through a mountain of paperwork every single ingredient we purchase is certified and produce the certificates for each and every item that goes into the product we are producing. We are also dietary supplement level 3 certified the next level up is Pharmaceutical certified.

Unfortunately it is pretty easy for any company to print out labels that state Organic on them and slap them on their products, when it is not true. We have an entire regulatory department that reviews every ingredient we use, every label our customers want to use to see what the label claims are and if they are accurate and legal. Do your research on anything you purchase if they are really certified organic you should be able to ask them for their organic certificate and they should be able to produce it. Ask them if they are FDA approved.