• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning Mouse Mess in the Bird Room

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I haven't found much, maybe using bleach or vinegar, but I
thought I saw recommendations for other cleaners for the bird room?

I found mouse droppings a few weeks ago, in the closet, and put D-Con out and now most of that is gone.
Plus there was one dead mouse that DG got rid of.

I can't find the holes where they get in, but will check again.
Meanwhile there is the mess.

Keikoa has been fighting a bacterial infection and I don't want her exposed to chemical cleaners, so I mostly use Melaleuca's Cleanr Power, or vinegar, but would like something stronger but not
something that causes breathing problems.

I just bought a big bottle of alcohol, too, so I thought I would clean the two areas (one a shelf and one
a carpeted area of the closet) with the Melaleuca cleaner and then douse with alcohol.

But any suggestions for the future?
I hate having D-Con in the bird room, even though it is in the closet and the birds probably
can't get into it (I put a little cage around it, on the floor. They never go on the floor)

But it is the best mouse killer I have found. I used a humane trap for years, but one wiley mouse in the kitchen evaded me for months, and the mess was horrible. I will NOT have mice in the bird room,
and of course, that is where the best food is.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We use bleach water at the wildlife rescue,,,spray it on the droppings, kills hanta virus,,,not good for the birds of course , they must be moved for at least 24 hours better 48 hours...as for the mice,,,sad, but traps, not a killer like Dcon,,,causes dead mice to rot inside the walls,,,yuk!

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I think I got all of the mess, used a disinfectant spray from Target and tea tree oil.
I need to get some F10, but no $$ right now.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I live in the country and mice are a part of it. I won't put poison down as I also have dogs and a cat.

I use these traps regularly. After they've caught 4-6 mice, I stop seeing them until the next cold spell.

I'm guessing one family will move in. If you can get rid of them, then you should be mouse free for a while.

These are easy to use, easy to clean, I just put a dab of peanut butter in them. I don't even have to touch the mice to empty them.

I'm sorry to those who love mice......but their wild brethren just can't take over our homes.

41jYWHezaLL._SX300_.jpg

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Be careful with tea tree oil it is harmful to the birds but it will keep the mice away. I also use those traps that Becky posted.

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I need to find those traps! D-con makes me really nervous, even though I have it in a "cage" where the birds, dog and cats can't get it.

Tea tree oil is dangerous?
I dilute it about 4 drops to 16 ounces water as a spray to keep spiders and meal moths away.
It really seemed to get rid of the moths, which I assume came in on a seed mix for Lovey, or
treats for the others. They rarely get seeds.

I am questioning everything now, and my son, the scientist (enviro, but that includes biology and botany)
is researching everything and kind of making me crazy. I can't sterilize the room.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
D-con makes me really nervous, even though I have it in a "cage" where the birds, dog and cats can't get it.
Rightfully so, because they move it and save it for another meal so you're never sure where it will show up.

Many years ago I found it in my children's winter boots when we went to get them out for the season.
I vowed never to use it again.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
what we use at the farm is peppermint oil to repel mice. if you can find the hole they are getting in, put peppermint on something like burlap and stuff it into the hole. that is just temporary measufre until you can get hole cover. another thing that works also choreboy copper or stainsteel mesh scrubbies.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I used and use similar traps called the T rex. Best traps we used, caught most of the latest mouse family at our old house just before we moved. Mice are very flexible and as long as they can get their head through a opening they can get in, and it doesn't take much of a opening.
The new house HAD mice before we moved in but so far no new ones we can detect though to this day the vents and under the house smell like mouse and cat pee as it was abandoned and destroyed by crackheads before the flipper bought it and rehabbed it enough to be nice and sell-able again.
We have been keeping the traps out just in case, and at the old house we tossed green mouse poison chunks under the crawl space and known entry hole areas which really helped too and Nerd bird would never be able to get near them.
Mice love bird leftovers, and anything else chew-able, they even started to started to chew on the PEX pipes in the wall here where we found a leak we had fixed.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra