• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

problems with a very scared caique

ejones899

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys.

I am at my wits end.

First of all let me introduce myself, my name is Emma. I have a black header caique called Charlie (female) and she is going to be 13 this year. We have been together for about 2-3 years.

And everything has been going swimmingly up until recently.

About 6 months ago Charlie started attacking me for no reason, it seemed to be mainly when she was out of her cage and there were other people around, when she was out her cage with me alone she was absolutely fine. But attacks were random, not any particular time of day and I couldn't think of any triggers etc.

But that's not the real problem.

About 3 months ago Charlie had an injury to her leg, nothing serious just what the vet called "similar to a jar or a pulled muscle", it was causing her a lot of pain so I took her to the vet. And she was put on medicine that I had to give to her by syringe twice a day for a week. The whole time I was giving her medicine she was absolutely fine with me. But after I had finished giving her the medicine and now she is scared of me. She won't come anywhere near me and flaps about in her cage when I go to get her out. I cannot get her out of her cage anymore. Luckily she still "likes" my younger sister so my younger sister gets her out so she still gets some time out and about in the house. But nowhere near as much as she used to when she would come out for me.

I have tried everything I can think of. I don't want to force her out of her cage. Because she just flies away from me. She won't even accept treats from my hand.

I feel very sad as we were very good pals, and I still want to be.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Emma

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
We know that caiques have very good memories, and its likely she has associated you with that very stressful and painful period in her life when it was YOU who had to insist on her taking her medicne etc.

I suggest going back to old fashioned bribery, with food, attention and her favourite things. At her pace. No forcing her to leave the cage, etc. And think about re-instating your alone time together, no distractions, no tv, no sisters, just relaxing.

She will remember the good ole days and come back to you. Good Luck!

and welcome to AA!

JP

ejones899

Yes I know. At the moment I am "that awful woman who does horrible things to her!"

So just sit in the same room with her for a while and open the cage? She won't take treats from me at the moment. So is there anything you could recommend?

Emma

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yes just spend time with her, just letting her hang out while you do your usual routines at home. Let her do what she wants within reason. No forcing wanted behaviors from her.

Treats: Usually you just watch what she eats first from their food mix, and then withhold it as treats. lol. Otherwise nuts are always good.

But let the bird decide what is a treat. Does Charlie love being beside the window? That's a treat. Does Charlie absolutely LOOVE her shower or being misted? another treat, etc.

ejones899

Well we have some progress.

One of Charlie's favorites are sunflower seeds. So they are exclusively treats.

She will now take them from my hand from inside her cage. She won't when sitting on the top of her cage. But baby steps!

Any other advice is appreciated.

Emma

Ronna

Moving in
Real Name
Ronna M Wickham
I know this may be a touchy subject, but have you tried clipping her wings? I gathered that she is fully flighted from your post. My little one was clipped when he came to me as a baby, but I let him grow his wings to see if he liked it. He was a very clumsy flier and I was worried he was going to get hurt (he actually did a kamikaze dive into a frying pan full of soapy water) , so I had them clipped again, and he didn't seem to care. Loves to hop and climb and tumble. But if your gal is more dependent on you, she may be more malleable in behavior. Of course there is the possibility that it would be insult to injury. Only you can tell. It may stop the attacks, and help make her more manageable. But she may be remembering something that happened before you got her, too. So hard to say with our little ones!! Much good luck to you and Charlie!!

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Sounds like you've already had some progress. You're basically starting over. Any interaction or associations need to be positive. Keep using the sunflower seeds as a special treat that comes from you.

How about some target training? teach her to touch the end of some long stick type object. When she does say "good" and offer a treat. Since she takes them from you in the cage start there. You can move the target to different areas of the cage. She should learn quickly and it can help build trust. If you have a plastic syringe you can build on feeding water or juice from the syringe. Next time she needs meds she could willingly take them if she's familiar with the syringe

A good source for more training in Barbara Heidenreich's Good Bird Inc and Force Free Animal training.
Barbara Heidenreich's Force Free Animal Training

Capturing behaviors is a good way to get her learning too. If she is playing alone or even sitting nearby just preening use the bridge "good" and treat her.

You may want to get some sunflower seeds already shelled and chop them up into smaller bits. I used this with my caique when we first started working with him. That way he wasn't gorging on sunflower treats. He would do anything for the tiniest bit of sunflower.

Another thing. Stop worrying. They feed off our emotional state. If you're worried or nervous about it she will sense it. Just relax and let it be. Time and positive interactions will help improve things. Take it day by day. Don't beat yourself up if there is a bad day. Also try keeping a journal of the progress and what behaviors you would like to teach.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Please Emma, do not clipped her wings!
For me that is forcing the parrot to be with you. And forcing has nothing to do with trust, respect, love and to keep the parrot happy and healthy.
I think it's good that the parrot can fly away if it's afraid, that is the natural behaviour.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Another thing. Stop worrying. They feed off our emotional state. If you're worried or nervous about it she will sense it. Just relax and let it be. Time and positive interactions will help improve things. Take it day by day. Don't beat yourself up if there is a bad day. Also try keeping a journal of the progress and what behaviors you would like to teach.
I really like this! :)

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Another idea...If you can set up a safe space for her to be out of her enclosure with you nearby that would be helpful. A bird proof room, play gym, some toys to play with, open the door and just hang out reading a book or watch tv or something. A safe snack like air popped popcorn to munch on. My caique can't stand to not at least investigate what I'm eating. Give her the choice to leave her safe space on her own. You may be surprised.

Consider the time you have to spend. If you're having a lot of people around leave her in her enclosure. Set up the situation for success.

Phttps://goodbirdinc.infusionsoft.com/app/hostedEmail/4443738/16240becde270afd?inf_contact_key=e57389f2a2754b911361131e41ea98dbd2e573bbbf3e9fb90ef3fa0fb11dbe77

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
I don't agree with wing clipping either. Yes there are some cases where it might be necessary or justified. However, I don't think this is one of them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You are starting over with her. Can you remember what you did to originally make friends and gain her trust? Just repeat those activities and she will come around.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Put a special small bowl or something to hold the treats you will just leave in that bowl for her since she doesn't want to take them from you. Leaving a treat in the bowl (one or two at the end of the visit) still reinforces the fact YOU left it for her without forcing her to take it. Sit. Talk, Sing to her quietly, maybe. My Sunny loves it when I sing Sunshine, You Are My Sunshine to her! She fluffs up and sways back and forth, holds her wings away from her body like she would for a singing mate...

Keep on plugging at re-establishing her trust. She will remember the good times with you and come back.