• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He's here!

Cockatielfun

Meeting neighbors
Well, the little guy arrived today!

I am a nervous wreck. To be honest. Need some input from the healthy hawkhead owners. Since my only experience with this type of bird was with a sick one, there's a few new questions.

He seems real nippy. Now I know this is his first day, so maybe it's all just a bit much for him right now, but he does like to grab fingers. He steps up good! And he enjoys being cuddled under your chin, but the nippy-ness has me a little concerned. Is this similar to Macaw-type behavior and treated as such? This bird is non-stop, I swear. The energy level is pretty crazy. I can see why they compare them to caiques.

I'm also worried about cross contamination with the birds. Like i'm afraid I'm going to neglect Mopar because I handled the hawkhead and vice versa. All because I'm paranoid. I probably shouldn't be, as the new bird came form a place that screens them and checks for viruses. And Mopar was at the vet not long ago, but I am still paranoid. IDK why I do this to myself. LOL....

Anyways, attached are a few photos of the new guy! I still don't have a name for him.
did you get a bird:)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has Maverick gotten all his flight feathers yet? :)

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
He has all but one. He likes the underside of his wings rubbed, so i can actually "inspect" them. The last one is currently growing in. He is quite the frequent flyer. ha!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great to hear! Target is starting to fly a lot more too. Still a bit clumsy though lol. But she enjoys it, which is good.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Great to hear! Target is starting to fly a lot more too. Still a bit clumsy though lol. But she enjoys it, which is good.
Great to hear! :) The only time I am annoyed with Maverick's flying ability is when he flies over to Mopar's cage to evict him. :naughty:

Here's another shot of him taken with the new camera.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Some latest maverick updates!

I believe I am going to try to flight train him. I think he is a good canidate for it. I've been able to get him to fly to my arm from various places in the house. Just gotta attach a phrase, so he associates the phrase with being called. :)

I started a new job that was suppose to be part time, but ended up being almost full time until fall... So that's why I haven't been around as much. The birds still get thier hours of out of cage time. It's just been shifted to afternoon/evening. Both don't seem to mind the schedule Change. Maverick seems to have become more Clingy, which I wasn't expecting. He hardly wants to play alone.... Usually flies over to me to be flipped over and play on his back and get scritches. I've also working on trust building, as I can get him to lie on his back in my hand now.

So it's been fun! :). He is such a joy it have around.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Maverick is stunning!

Matt

Begone