• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Collared Aracari

phairat

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathan
Hi All,

I am 95% certain to be getting a young Collared Aracari come summer from EFBG here in southern California.

I have read that the smaller aracaris are super quiet (except the Lettered for some reason?) and especially the Greens I see on YouTube are very cute with their purring, etc. But I also read that Collared Aracari have a somewhat shrill call. Is this common - or do they just use the grunt/growl/purr/click that I see most toucans using?

Just wondering because I have an apartment situation and while I trust the breeder - I'd also like some lay-people real life experiences. :)

Thanks!
Jonathan

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
bump

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
bump :)

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I don't own a Collared, but I do have an Ivory-billed. He does your usual aracari noises: long rattles, dog-like aroofs!, beaks clicks, and an adorable baby-like waaaaah when he's getting his cheeks scratched just right. :) These are all quiet but he does have one loud, piercing call, an ARACK! that can easily be heard from outside my apartment. Fortunately he only very rarely does this call, maybe three or four times a month? I'm still not sure whether it is a contact call or just a louder version of his startled squack. Overall though I think you should be perfectly fine with a Collared's noise level in an apartment if Jerry is telling you that they are pretty quiet. :) Can't wait to see cute baby Collared pics soon!

phairat

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathan
Thank you, Calpurnia!

Actually, it looks like I may be getting an Ivory-Billed myself. Scared and excited. May want to pick your brain as I go through the travails of aracari ownership! Looking at a welcome date of August. :)

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Can't wait! And feel free to ask any questions you may have as they pop up! I know I found this forum invaluable (though it isn't super active now) when researching people's first-hand experiences with aracaris.

phairat

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathan
Thank you so much, Calpurnia! I am extremely excited/eager/anxious! Will be very happy to have a fellow toucarent (???) to advise and commiserate.

phairat

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathan
Bad news, it looks like the chicks did not make it. Having to rethink the whole endeavor due to the difficulty in getting any information or assurances from EFBG.

Hope others have better experiences. Love your fids if you're blessed to have them :)