• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green with envy

Coros

Walking the driveway
Hello ! So, i have the opportunitie to get a Hand-raised green cheek conure from a nearby breeder, thing is, i already have a parent raised lovebird, i'm currently taming him and i could get a weaned conure in june, he/she would have is own cage of course but will thing could work out when they are outside of their cage ?
A green cheek conure was my first choice bird but i saw this poor little lovebird at the pet shop and here we are. so...yeah

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
there is no garuntee that the two birds would get along

Coros

Walking the driveway
Hum, yeah, it's a bit bothering, how friendly are CCG toward other birds ? i know each bird have his own personality but in general how is the life with a green cheek conure ?

Prism

Meeting neighbors
I'm also curious to hear the responses. We have a tame budgie at home and I am considering adding a conure later down the road.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd like to say that it all depends on (a) the bird's character; (b) how old the birds in question are (I've found the younger, usually the better they get along but that's a personal take) and (c) how they're "brought together" at home. I do not mean that there is a perfect formula to do this or any formula at all.

It is very much a crap shoot (as far as I'm concerned) and there are no guarantees. I apologize for being so vague ...

Prism

Meeting neighbors
That's kind of what I expected to hear anyway :) We have an elderly dog and once she passes hubby wants to take a break from dog ownership. I'm not sure yet if he'd be wanting another bird in the house or if a conure is a good fit for us so I'm just researching until decision time comes.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My GCC is fine with other birds - since she was an 'only bird' for 7 years, she doesn't really have that much interest in other birds. But they will sometimes want to play with her, or tease her, or steal her food, and she is very gentle and patient with them - up to a certain point anyway.
Now, lovebirds have more of a reputation for being bird-aggressive, plus as the lovebird is there first, he may see a GCC as an intruder in 'his' territory. I would go with separate cages always if you get the GCC. They may or may not become friends and be able to share out of cage playtime.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
My GCC has a massive crush on my lovebird and always tells her to give him a kiss lol too funny! I don't ever have them out together though.

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
my green cheeks are better with other birds than either my parrotlets or blue crown conures are. They have no fear though so they eagerly try to interact with other birds if I am not careful. I recently moved my parrotlets to a new cage and it is right beside my green cheeks - the green cheeks are always over close to the parrotlets trying to be curious and friendly, and the parrotlets would tear into them if they got a chance. I truly believe that green cheeks are one of the best birds you can have as a pet - mine have been so much fun.

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
We had a huge issue with Arya when we were looking for a second bird as she doesn't really get along with other birds much, but especially not if they are even slightly bigger. So Conure and smaller were golden, but I had really wanted a quaker. We went with a turquoise instead. :rolleyes:

I'd say it depends on the bird, but from what the place we got both our birds from was saying... since GCCs have such strong personalities, they need either a laid-back bird, or one that they don't feel threatened by.

Coros

Walking the driveway
Hum... I'll get a conure. I'll make sure to introduce the two bird swloly to each other and well, i'll be supervising everything.

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
Another warning: I have heard with lovebirds that they tend to either fully attach to their human or another bird, and will always choose another bird over a human. So if you're worried about attachment, I would also look into that? I might be mistaken though.