• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Molting or Plucking?

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've noticed that Mr. Bender's feathers are a little bit shabby, and that he has a tiny bit of down showing right under his neck. Haven't seen any torn up feathers (just a couple of normal-looking molted tail feathers) although I'll start keeping an eye out.

He's definitely in full-on hormone mode - "socializing" with toys, tearing up paper to try to build nests, and more than a little territorial. We did get him a new cage about a month ago, but he seemed to adjust pretty easily. Other than that no major changes.

It seems like he usually molts quite a bit in the spring, but I can't quite recall. Anyone have an idea of if there's a particular time of year that these guys molt, and if so, about when?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Now is about the time that I have hormonal plucking and usually chest/neck area. However, it you haven't had an annual checkup, now might be a good time.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hmm, he had a checkup in October and all was well, but if he gets worse or behavior changes that's probably the next step.

Does the hormonal plucking grow back once mating season is over?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If there is plucking, or feather barbering, then the feathers will grow back after the feather has been plucked or molted out.

He just might need a good, soaking bath.

Can you share photos?

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
He looks beautiful to me. What's in the bag hanging ?

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks! That's his "foraging" bag. It's stuffed with shredded paper, seeds, pellets, few pieces of pasta, paper straws and other random recycled toy parts. His fav - every day he guts it and gets a new one.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Thanks! That's his "foraging" bag. It's stuffed with shredded paper, seeds, pellets, few pieces of pasta, paper straws and other random recycled toy parts. His fav - every day he guts it and gets a new one.
What a fantastic idea. You are such a good birdie mom.

I don't see what you are seeing regarding his feathers, but from what I see he looks great.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I see a small spot- looks like it could be hormonal plucking. The feathers will grow back.
Try adding some quinoa to the diet to help with growing those feathers back :) Looks like baby has plenty to keep him busy- haha, so if things get worse, a vet visit may be in order.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Aww, what a cutie. Yep that is the area that mine start on. It does come back in once things calm down.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks all for your advice and kind words! I made a careful inspection of his cage tonight, and saw a few little strands of feathers but no full feathers. Also saw that when he does his "mating" dance he'll pull a little at that spot as part of the dance. Oh the things they do. Hadn't heard of quinoa, but will definitely give him some. Cooked or uncooked?

Will keep everybody updated and get to vet if he gets worse. Luckily there's a really good 24h clinic nearby that usually has an exotics doc in clinic or on call.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Update for everybody, and would like some feedback:

Had surgery last week, so haven't been able to leave the house to get Mr. Bender to the vet yet. However, I have been watching him and he seems really itchy - scratching his head, eyes, feet etc. I wondered if it was giardia, but his droppings/appetite/weight have been normal. Think he could have dry skin or allergies?

As soon as I'm up and around he'll be off to the vet (next few days), but I'm curious as to whether anyone has any preemptive guesses or ideas as to how I could keep him more comfortable in the meantime?

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hi all - update. Vet thinks that it is likely to be a physical/medical cause especially because I've noticed that Bender's head seems to be very itchy - he's always scratching it on his cage bars and with his feet, and even splintering apart popsicle sticks to scratch.

Vet did a full physical exam and all looked good. He didn't find fecal giardia, but because I previously had a cockatiel in the house with confirmed giardia, he is starting him on metronidazole, as sometimes giardia can be hard to pick up on a quick fecal prep. He also sent me home with sunshine factor and an topical aloe vera spray that I've started. Noticed Bender seems to like the aloe vera spray, which is unusual as he normally HATES spray baths and prefers to bathce in his water dish.

I'm scheduled for a recheck in two weeks, so if these things don't help he'll start on bloodwork etc. He's generally fairly conservative on treatment, especially if it's invasive i.e. bloodwork in the little guys.

I've been racking my brain to think of anything that may be affecting allergies. I realized that I have started to use a different kind of newspaper than usual to line his cage - it's thicker paper and ink seems a bit different. Bender's absolute favorite activity is to destroy newspaper - no matter how many fun toys he has hanging overhead, he'll spend a good part of his day on the floor of his cage shredding the newspaper on bottom. I'm going to switch to butcher paper now, but was wondering if anyone has had any similar experience.

Also any other input that anyone has as far as environmental allergens or general itchy bird advice would be very appreciated!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I use unprinted newspaper for that same reason. Happy ends up looking like a chimney sweep if I use any kind of inked paper or don't put it under the grate.

Heather F

He might find some extra humidity soothing if he's itchy. Maybe give him some periodic "spa time" in a nice steamy bathroom?

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Unfortunately he's kept plucking after these adjustments, and is now plucking the tops of his wings and insides of his legs. I have a recheck scheduled on 4/22 so I'm sure will start in on bloodwork etc.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Back from recheck, and actually good news! I've since my last post that he's quit plucking, and vet says he's already growing back some of the downy feathers.

Don't know whether it was giardia (been treating with metro) or allergy to the new kind of newspaper I'd been using, but regardless we seem to have success!