• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The sniffles?

jennarochelle

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenna
Hi guys, I have a 13 year old tuxedo named Princess (I've had her since I was a in elementary school haha). I recently moved to the island, well this past summer, and ever since she's seemed to be stuffy. Always sniffling and sneezing with boogers (she'll sneeze and get them on herself.. or the wall...) I've taken her into a vet a couple times, but the vet says she wasn't at all concerned about it, and told me if I wanted to I could give her some lysine stuff for to help. I decided to grab some last time I was in the vets, and it has seemed to help, but I don't feel it's all that permanent of a solution and it's just suppressing it.

I think I want to get a second opinion. What's your opinion?

Is it some kind of allergy?
The humidity here maybe? We lived in a very dry environment before this.

Otherwise she seems perfectly healthy, she's an indoor cat, I weigh all my animals regularly and nothing has changed there..Her diet is the same.. I'm completely stumped.

I love my cat and I hate to see her like this, she'll go into little sniffly/sneezy fits every so often and it just seems really uncomfortable. I just want her to feel better.

jennarochelle

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenna
Dang, I thought I put this in the cat section, I didn't mean to post it here sorry !

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My cats don't have this issue, but maybe allergies since it just happened since you moved? Sorry I can't help you.

Interested to see what others think.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If the lysine helped then keep it up. Its not suppressing the issue, it is helping. Lysine really helps support their immune system and helps keep those upper respiratory signs away. You can also try something like an antihistamine, but thats giving a pill two to three times daily.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Or maybe liquid Benadryl, but ask the vet first.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Or maybe liquid Benadryl, but ask the vet first.
Liquid benadryl will go terribly with a cat, it tastes horrible and the vast majority will hate it more than pills

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Liquid benadryl will go terribly with a cat, it tastes horrible and the vast majority will hate it more than pills
Sorry, I really dont know much about Kitties, but I have used it with birds.:shy:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Sorry, I really dont know much about Kitties, but I have used it with birds.:shy:
Oh no worries! Its perfectly safe to use, and Im sure some have in cats successfully... But thays a rare cat that will take it. Theyre more taste sensitive, which is why you cant really hide meds in food like you can with birds (sometimes haha) and dogs. Sorry I was more terse with my response than I should have been