• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mistake that Almost Ended in Tragedy

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Yesterday I was in the kitchen with my mother and a friend of the family and I was answering the usual boring questions when I heard almost human like screaming. I ran up the stairs but Kiwi was their fine as usual. However when I looked into the cockatiel cage feathers were flying and my rat was on top of my bird. I reacted quickly and grabbed him off her back. He started to squeal and scream and hiss. I plopped him onto the floor and he ran behind his cage. (Which is on the floor) I looked into the cage and Stella was on the floor hissing and huffing. I gently lifted her off the ground and held her to my chest. My mother ran up the stairs and we checked her out. She appeared fine. I took her downstairs with me to keep her close and watch her. She was missing quite a few feathers from her back but appeared fine. I went upstairs and returned her to her cage. I found Nico and put him back in his cage as well. Turns out the latch wasn't fully closed and he pushed the door open. I went back up their and she was on the floor of her cage. We went to the vets but they said she appeared fine and they didn't want to stress her out further with X-rays. I haven't seen her eat anything and I think her wing may be broken but I don't know. I had her on my knee and she jumped off. She landed weird and started dragging her wing. I feel terrible. I wish the vet would have done more. This is exactly why I was going to give the cockatiels away. I actually may have found a home, their are a few people interested but I won't give her away until she is totally back to health.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad she is still alive! I really hope her wing is not broken.

Question. Why wouldn't you rehome the rat(s) instead?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like, to me, you are taking the rat instead of the birds:cool:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
If the vet had any inclination that she had a broken wing, she would have taken X-rays.
Trama- emotional is enough to kill, 'Weeping wings' is a sign of severe emotional trama. If you are worried about finding a new home- should have left them at the vet, they can usually find a responsible home. (not criticizing your care- just stating that vets are usually a good bet)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sorry your story isn't quite clear....

If you were at the vets they would have noticed her wing was broken and rat saliva is as bad as cat and dog saliva....

Why do you have their cages so close together?? Birds should be housed no where near rodents. Rats along with Mic and ferrets willhunt and kill birds.

I hope she will be ok. Poor baby :(

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with what was posted earlier. Please do not house your birds in the same space as your rodents. Your cockatiel baby needs to be seen by the vet ASAP for her wing. Please take her so this doesn't end in tragedy.

truste

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
Poor thing :( I can't imagine how terrified she must've been. Did your rat want to eat her? I didn't know they did that (but I know close to nothing about rats)

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I am not choosing my rats over the birds. Kiwi also attacks them and I have been trying to rehome them long before I got the rat. The vet doesn't think the wing is broken. He just told me to watch her in case she gets any worse. Also she seems to be getting better. She is sitting on her branches and I think the wing is sprained. Also I may have already found a home for her. This couple had a cockatiel who died not to long ago at 14 years. They have been looking for some new ones and may be interested in the girls. Also only one wing seems bad. If the vet is wrong then what can I do? We don't have another vet around here for many many hours. @mythic55 Do you know the proper term for weeping wings? I have been trying to do more research. Does it have to be both wings? Cause one wing is totally fine, she can move it, flap it etc. but the other is a bit sore (I assume sprained) The rat is not housed as close to them as you may think. He just climbed onto the desk and into the cage.

Doris M

Sprinting down the street
Dogs can be trained not to attack, but rodents... I have guinea pigs in t he same room. But they are a different thing all together. A river rat once got into our house and gnawed the head off my beloved orange-fronted conure. It was a tragedy. My husband was so wild with rage that he cornered the rat and stomped it to death. I was in shock. I love rodents; I love my birds. this story just brought back this god-awful memory. I would find a home for the birds; ask around actively; try to get it done soon. If you need to choose, you know which you'd rather live with, and your mind has been made up. I would call the vet and ask about the wing again. Watch the bird closely.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Thank you so much @Doris M I am so sorry about your baby. I have actually found a home. They just messaged me back and want them. She has a cold though so once she is better we are going to meet. I have been checking her every hour or so. Sometimes more when I get especially nervous. She hasn't eaten anything that I've seen but otherwise appears better. I swear if anything happens to her I won't be able to handle it. I love her so much and made a hard decision giving them up. I will call the vet again. My father flipped out at my dog when she killed a chicken. He didn't kill or injure her obviously but she sure does get scared when he raises his voice. She hates being yelled at.

Doris M

Sprinting down the street
If she has trouble reaching the food dish, try placing dishes conveniently for her. Give her things she likes to eat to keep up with her high metabolism. <3

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@mythic55 Do you know the proper term for weeping wings? I have been trying to do more research. Does it have to be both wings? Cause one wing is totally fine, she can move it, flap it etc. but the other is a bit sore (I assume sprained) The rat is not housed as close to them as you may think. He just climbed onto the desk and into the cage.
Term or definition of weeping wings. It can also be considered drooping wings.
What do you mean by 'cold'?

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Keeping the rat in the same room as your birds is a problem. To protect the bird you are keeping (Kiwi), keep him FAR away from your rats.

I think rats are smart, beautiful, and just as important as birds are. But, you need to be diligent in protecting everyone in your room. When accidents happen, it isn't the fault of the animals, but the fault of the owner.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Term or definition of weeping wings. It can also be considered drooping wings.
What do you mean by 'cold'?

I think she is referring to the person wanting the cockatiel.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Rats and ferrets are bad when it comes to killing birds I'd say they are worse than cats. My grandma used to have 3 finches until she got a rat infestation (now there are no rats coming in her house thanks to her cats) One of the rats killed one of the finches and ate the leg off the other the second finch eventually died from it's wounds. My suggestion is to move the rat cage to another room and definitely add some heavy duty locks so it can't accidently escape again.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I agree it was my fault but I was unaware I can't even keep them in the same room. @mythic55 I mean cold as in the cough and runny nose. The woman interested in them has one. Also she is doing MUCH better. I saw her picking at her food and such. I called the vet and he said that what I should do if she was getting better was watch for any deterioration. He didn't think she was that traumatized the first time he saw her anyways. Her wing is probably sprained but definitely not broken. I am so happy because it's hard to set little bird bones.