• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck Dove breeding question

pawsitivelycrazy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Debbie
When breeding Ringneck Doves, having a white male breed a normal female, can you get both white and normal babies? Thanks for your help!

rritoch

Moving in
Real Name
Ralph Ritoch
I'm not an expert on white Ringnecks, but it is my understanding that they are albino and genetically a combination of the ino gene and the blue gene. For the purpose of calculation considered as being visually ino and blue. I am also trying to breed albino's as I have Ringnecks that are blue, green/blue (green split to blue), green/ino, blue/ino and ino/blue. I have found the genetic calculator (click -> Genetic Calculator 1.3 Indian Ringnecked Parrot Male=1.0 Female=0.1) very helpful in my search for ideal breeding calculations.

Ino is a sex linked trait. As far as I can tell it seems that an ino (yellow) female will pass the trait on only to their male children, making them split to ino but not visually ino. A male that is split to ino can produce ino females, and males that are split to ino, but no visually ino males.

Based on this, it seems the only way a green female can produce any albino females would be if the female is split to blue, but it would produce blue males that are only split to ino, and not albino (white).

I currently have a blue male and yellow female. I've been told they have produced some albino children which would make them blue/ino and ino/blue.

I'm considering buying their female yellow baby which I think is a female and it should be an ino/blue. When paired with a male I have which I believe may be green/(blue ino) due to a yellow dot on its head which means it could produce some albinos. The parents were a green male and a blue female. All of their babies so far have been green/blue males, but if they produce a yellow female than the "split to ino" would be confirmed in the green male parent.

I hope this helps.

Entering your specs though it seems all of the males produced by your albino male and green female will be green/(blue ino) and all of the females will be ino/blue. If you mate them than they will produce yellow females and if those yellow females are mated back to the father than you should end up with albino children.

Note to moderator: This thread seems to belong in the Ringneck category.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@rritoch Debbie was asking about ringneck doves, not ringneck parakeets. Thank you for trying to help her though.

Matt